Thistleblooms Rambles

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow, that is a huge accomplishment. I don't know if I am more proud of you or Syringa. I think I'll choose Syringa. You have brought her along and she is blossoming under your care and teaching. She is your life partner.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm proud of her too. To me it's a very huge deal. Been a long time in the works. Like about 18 months longer than most people take on their mustangs, but the time it has taken has been good for the two of us.

Can't wait for the day when I just saddle up and go for a ride on the trails.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got my second ride in on Syringa this afternoon. :weee
She was so calm, even though the neighbor kids were tearing up and down on a quad and a distant neighbor kept shooting what sounded like a cannon. I got her to move her feet by bending her neck, encouraging her to move and then releasing her, hoping she would line out and keep walking. She would take a few steps then stop. Bend, move , release, stop. That's ok. She'll figure it out. :)

Woohoo!!!

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
1586277809586.png

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Today was a work at the home garden day. Our Kid#1 needed to come pick up some mail and use dads tools to replace a part on his truck so I opted for home work over dollar work. We were all very socially distanced and stayed outdoors. No hugging... :(!
It's funny to see your kid be so parental and careful with his old folks. Love that kid.

We may not get to see him for several months. He's leaving for his wildland firefighting job Saturday, and HQ is six hours away. They get one day off every 14 days so he won't be driving back and forth. We will try to go down and see him for his birthday if it works out and he's not on a fire at the time.

He's on a Helitac crew again this year. This year he's working for the Feds, not the state, so the season will be longer and they go farther away if needed. He loves this job and I can personally not see the attraction, but he's so happy the season has started. So I'll be happy with him even if it makes my hair grayer.

FullSizeR_02.jpg

In the garden I planted sugar snap peas and rolled out some porous weed cloth that someone gave me to see if it will warm the soil. I would really love to get a ripe melon for like, the first time ever. Melons produce, but so far haven't found one that is short season enough to actually ripen before fall frost cuts them short. I checked the soil temp before I rolled it out and it was 42*. A couple hours later I checked again under the weed cloth and the soil, at 4" deep was already 5 degrees warmer. Seems like I may be on to something. :D The peppers would probably appreciate some warmer soil too, maybe I'll get a bumper crop!
I still haven't up potted my tomato and pepper starts. Maybe tomorrow.

Didn't get the 3rd ride in on Syringa either. After I finished in the garden my knee was hurting and I was tired so I threw her an extra flake as a consolation and came in for keeps.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know you enjoyed your kid #1 visit. 14 days, 1 day off, sounds like my son's work schedule. He's not working now, everything is shut down. With oil prices in the dump, refineries are not doing anything. He runs cranes.

Social distancing with your kids is not easy. Our DD cautioned her little ones, but that went out the window practically the minute they got here. I don't care if they are little germ sponges, I'm gonna love them. LOL

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got a good 4 hours in at work with dh's help today. I haven't got my gardening stamina yet and I was hurting. After coming home and putting my feet up for half an hour I was recovered and energetic enough to go back outside and play horse.

Got the third ride in on Syringa today. Yay me! She was great again,very calm and relaxed. She started getting the hang of walking forward and we made some progress in taking more steps each time. This is so much not what I had expected. I was thinking she would be very forward and I would have to bend her to a stop from trotting or loping. I'm hopeful we can at least move into a trot by the weekend. I'm certainly not complaining, I'll take calm and slow over reactive and anxious any day.

Also got Luke out and groomed and did some groundwork with him. I love that it's light later in the evening. It's my favorite time to work the horses. I told my husband my goal is to have dinner made by 4, then I can get outside until dark and not have that hanging over me, lol. Cooking is not my favorite activity.

Work again tomorrow. I need to take advantage of my husbands help for as long as I can exploit him. :love

WildBird

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Miss @thistlebloom,

Were you, Miss @WildBird (and one other whose name I can't recall), impacted by the earthquake in Idaho yesterday?

Senile Texas Aggie
This is a little late cause I haven't checked into BYH for a while, but I did feel the earthquake. It wasn't strong and was halfway over before I realized what was happening. It knocked over a rake that was leaning against my chicken coop wall but no other "damage" was done.