Thistleblooms Rambles

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love that guy and would never tell him this, (but I will tell the internet world :rolleyes: )... I think he is being waaaayyy too OCD about the pad. I appreciate the fact that he is a tile and stone man and driven by square plumb and level necessities on the job, but he is making this pad level enough and smooth enough to be a billiards table.
He is actually screeding it. Oh. My. Lanta.
Hey if you are going to do a job, might as well do it right! :D

The next time I looked around for him he was just exiting Dh's carefully leveled and screeded garage pad. o_O
Ruh Rho. So if you aren't pouring a slab, just a rock base, what is there to screed if it is just rock? I am SO CONFUSED!!

So Mike, does this mean you might be a tad bit OCD about some things?
Have you seen some of his wood work? It doesn't look that way without great OCD care ;)

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
So if you aren't pouring a slab, just a rock base, what is there to screed if it is just rock? I am SO CONFUSED!!

If you are OCD enough you can screed rock.
It's 3/4 minus and has some sand in it also apparently. So the smaller particles pack in around the stone. The part that was finished and got rained on looks more rocky than the fresh stuff.
I took a pic but haven't transferred it yet and I'm being lazy right now. I'll post it later.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
20200518_142838.jpg

There's the first load of rock, 12 yards.Looks more like sand in the photo, but it is rock. We had 24 yards delivered, and dh used it all up on Saturday and needs at least 12 more. I told him to get at least another 24 because there's always places to use it.
He's feeling pressured because they may be here to construct the buildings in 2 weeks and he is putting in full days on a tile job.
So thankful for the neighbors loan of the tractor.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
We got another 36 yards yesterday. One load for the garage and two loads for my HAY BARN!!! 🎆
I can't believe I will have an actual dry building that is not composed of cattle panels and tarps. We got a date today. They will be coming to work on them June 16. So dh has 19 days to get his butt in gear. Hahaha. Just kidding honey.

I thought I'd share a picture of him screeding rocks, since some of you were having a hard time picturing it.

20200526_170535.jpg

And a closeup of what a screeded rock surface should look like. ;)

20200526_170608.jpg

And this one is just because. Because I love my little sweet potato, and because the sun was shining!

20200526_172721.jpg

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
He does real nice work. I'm jealous. Would he want to come south for a week to do some nice work like that?????? I'm thinking a nice pad for a 2 vehicle garage.... and maybe a small but functional barn for a milk cow and 2nd floor hay storage....

Well, I'll ask him.... maybe if he survives this project, haha.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't rmember if I mentioned it, but when we first started discussing a permanent building for hay storage he was thinking of building 3 shelters the size of the one he built for my gelding, 12'x16'. (Three so he wouldn't have to worry about a long roof span and snowloads.) They would be for hay, firewood and my Farmall and mowers. The total for those would have been well over $3000. Plus all his labor which would have been substantial and he's 70 now. I don't like him working on ladders and roofs.

Our neighbors have put in 3 horse shelters and a 30x40 carport building using this company and they are pleased with the workmanship and quality. When we checked into it we were surprised at the price comparison to a wood structure. For only a few hundred more we are getting a 20'x25' metal building, installed in one day. The fact that dh wouldn't have to kill himself building it was the clincher. It will be less square footage, but all under one roof, and way less maintenance.