Thistleblooms Rambles

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is what they actually encountered there.
Glad to hear they were with the "normal folks" and not up in the Capitol.

Those who want to believe the lies try desperately to suppress those telling the truth, so it compounds the lies.
True and those spreading the lies should provide proof of them. And would, IF there is any proof to be shown. And those believing the lies should ask themselves why they believe the lies when those telling them provide no proof.

Can't bake though because the oven igniter is some kind of electric glow type thing.
Can you light it with a match or other flame or is the stove "smart" enough to not turn on the gas until the igniter is functioning? My 1931 gas stove is so non technical that the ONLY way to start it is with a flame to each burner.

Unfortunately the wind toppled a tree over the corner of the dog run, smooshing it.
Oh, that is sad. Agreed it is good there were no dogs inside nor any expensive metal roof to destroy. The already downed tree that I cut a couple of weeks ago didn't show any more roots than your pine. Based on the bark and how it split I THINK it was an ash. Not sure why it went down, the Emerald Ash Borers arrived only very recently.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can you light it with a match or other flame or is the stove "smart" enough to not turn on the gas until the igniter is functioning? My 1931 gas stove is so non technical that the ONLY way to start it is with a flame to each burner.
The answer to that is I don't know.
I could probably light it with a match to get it started, but since there is apparently no pilot light it would be impossible to know when to relight it when it comes back on to maintain a certain temperature, if that makes sense.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I peeked under the oven at the burner tonight when I was baking cornbread. I probably didn't time it right, I was busy with several dinner tasks, but you might have a good point Bruce. I'll try harder to catch a look at what's going on down there when it's reached baking temp and before it reignites, or whatever it does. The little glow coil or whatever it is was glowing both times I looked.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some states don't allow for gas stoves to be sold that do not have the all this "new fangled" pilotless ignition. Va is like that, the only ones you can buy new are piloteless ignition. BUT Pa sells gas stoves that can be lit by a match, and it is legal to have them here... just not buy them here. So for anyone that wants a gas stove that does not rely on electricity for ignition, any place like Lehman's or other states with a decent Mennonite or Amish populations, should be able to find more "manual type stoves". Mine is like yours @Bruce; ancient type that lights with a match....reliable... simple.....

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Jan, I think if we were to send our stoves out for total refurbishment they would come back with ignitors of some sort.

I believe mine ORIGINALLY had a pilot under the stove top and would have had pipes leading to each of the 4 burners. Each burner has 5 "arms" and the hole closest to the center of the stove in each burner has a screw in it rather than being the same size small holes in the rest of the burner. There is a shutoff under the top near the front of the stove where the pilot pipe connects to the common rail. There would be no way to light the pilot other than to take the top out, no access hole. I don't know if it was professionally modified or if someone got tired of having the pilot on all the time, especially if it ever went out and had to be relit, and did the modification themselves. It would be interesting to see what the pilot to burner pipes looked like.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
My old gas stove has no pilots, for the burners. You turn the knob on for each burner a 1/4 turn and hold a match close to the round center piece where the flames are, and it lights. There is a hole in the front on the bottom of the oven, which is on the right looking at the stove, where you hold the match. Mine has a broiler on the left, with a hole at the top to hold the match when you turn the knob on. It is an odd brand and I am having trouble finding a couple replacement knobs that broke.... they are a hard plastic type material that fits over a metal piece that sticks out from the stove. There is an amish farmer that a friend of mine knows in PA that may be able to do a refurbish job... he specializes in non-electric stuff for the old order amish up there.... I really love this stove.....One burner does not work the way it used to and that is why I am wanting to get it redone if at all possible. It seems part are not available anymore even for this amish guy to get.