Thistleblooms Rambles

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Remember my footstool project? I amazed myself and finished it.
Of course it did take me about 25 years 😄

Before. (story on page 75)
View attachment 80760

Dh cut some knotty alder we had left over from putting base board in, and pin nailed it to the old (unsquare) box.
I stained the feet and glued the dowels back in. I just gave it a simple beeswax and oil finish.

After.View attachment 80761

View attachment 80762

Then I made a leather foot pad with my 44 year old Singer Stylist home sewing machine. My machine wouldn't have been able to stitch through the multiple layers of leather, so I made an inner pillow from leftover fabric, stuffed it with down stolen from a bed pillow, and put it into the leather sleeve, then used snaps on the ends as closures.
I would do it differently, now that I know a little more, but it works ok for now. Probably needs a fatter inner pillow and more snaps.
Yes, it does indeed look like a ravioli, thank you Kid#2 for making that observation. 😆

View attachment 80763

So I met the challenge of not spending any money on finishing it. Except for buying leather needles for my machine, but they can be used for a lot more projects.

It's a handy height for holding a mug of hot cocoa in the evening too.
A mini coffee table, haha.
T, that's beautiful!!!! I didn't know you were so handy with woodworking! Now, I would have slapped those feet on it and called it rustic or shabby chic but you brought that to a whole other level of elegance.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Since their family don't come to the house until summer, when the rhodies are done blooming, I would do up a landscape plan that you and the client like, that will be practical, and give them color when they do come. If the rhodies were old and large, the client probably liked them as large scale foresty looking shrubs that filled in a lot of area without needing much to keep them looking good. You will give her something that will be even prettier, and throw in some new rhodies as large background plantings (once they are grown). Having a completely clean canvass to work with will be much more fun that trying to rehab badly destroyed rhodies that won't suit the client in the long run.

Have fun! You have the rest of the snowy winter to plan a great garden for her. How about a couple fruit trees in the background for the grandchildren to pick fruit from when they come? If the grandchildren live in town picking fruit might be a thrill for them.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
T, that's beautiful!!!! I didn't know you were so handy with woodworking!
Oh Bee! You bless me! :lol: I am NOT handy with woodworking. That's my husbands idea and work. It's perfectly imperfect because the original box wasn't square but I insisted we use it because of it's heritage.
He came up with the idea of using base when I had rifled through my fabric stash and came out with a couple of burlap coffee bean bags and an old foam cushion I had saved from an upholstered chair. He can only do so much shabby chic. 🤣 He's pretty quick on his feet though, and without insulting my idea inserted his. 🥰
I'm responsible for the fabulous stain job on the feet and gluing the dowels back into the box. My skills are stunning! 😄
Having a completely clean canvass to work with will be much more fun that trying to rehab badly destroyed rhodies that won't suit the client in the long run.
Oh, you hit the nail on the head there Ridgetop! I have had to go along with many clients wishes in situations just like that, where they want to nurse some ugly plant along, when it would be so much more effective and attractive to pull them out and start fresh. They're plants not puppies after all.
How about a couple fruit trees in the background for the grandchildren to pick fruit from when they come?
That would be fun. Except the grandkids are all in college now.
And all I'll say about that is that except for one they are a snarky, unappreciative group of humanity.

I have so many ideas! It could be a traffic stopper! Unfortunately I have to deal with deer, :rant and in this neighborhood they are an omnivorous group, ignoring deer repellents and consuming everything on the "deer resistant" plant list except barberry and boxwood, and a few select other plants. So my design parameters will be very constricted.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Never mind the fruit trees! Too much upkeep for you! Although you could get the benefit of the fruit! Oh, wait, YOUR kids are grown too!

Just have fun planning a fabulous design. It's a good thing those tree clearance folks took out the rhodies after all - and the client can't blame you for it!

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got a ride in today! We are still in phoney winter mode so trails are still accessible. Got about an inch of snow last night and warmer temps today (37f) so the footing was excellent.
I met two friends, we ride together frequently. All mares and they all get along and like each other. We were trotting up a hill, Syringa and I were third, she wanted to lope, I said nope. Well that turned into an abbreviated little rodeo! :lol: She was fresh, the day was young and her friends were getting away from her. She snaked her head back and forth and gave it a shake, then a huge leap in the air with a double kick out at the top. 😅
Good thing my britches were glued to the seat, haha.
She was heading in a straight line so no worries about unseating me, like she could have if she went sideways and got silly. But she wasn't trying to lose me, just letting me know her opinion of being held in.

Today's view. The lake was like glass. Not a breeze stirring.
1612060229622.jpeg

1612060429612.jpeg
1612060689923.jpeg