Thought this buckling was polled, now not sure.

MitchM

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
0A8A3496-F8EE-4DB9-95F8-1F13EDCA868A.jpeg
6D66B8A3-4788-431C-AF2D-A37877C5FB2C.jpeg
At one week old we were disbudding our first group of 5 buckings and one doeling. This little guy I was certain was naturally polled. Where the other same age kids had pronounced horn caps (even more so on the boys!) his head was completely smooth. Not a single raised bump. Then we had another doe kid out and did her babies at 5 days old. I went back and checked how well I did on the others from the previous week and noticed that he now has small smooth bumps on his head. In this picture he is 12 days old (14 now). What do you all think? Everything I’ve seed from goat bucklings are very pronounced by even 10 days old. I did shave his hair back so I could get a better look.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
If one of the parents is polled I'd vote polled. I have some polled Nigerians and some of them have bumps where the horns would be if they had horns. The bumps are wide and round, not sharp like horn buds.

MitchM

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If one of the parents is polled I'd vote polled. I have some polled Nigerians and some of them have bumps where the horns would be if they had horns. The bumps are wide and round, not sharp like horn buds.
Honestly I’m not sure if her dam is polled or not. I know her sire isn’t. How do you know if a goat has been disbudded or is polled?