thoughts on a baby gift

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
ok yall i have alot of time fore i have todo this.but im trying to decide if a cow is a good gift for a bull or heifer calf.knowing the baby wont ever know it has a cow till the cow is old.so is this a good or bad idea.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If you were to give a calf/heifer/cow are you going to keep all the offspring as the babies? If she were to have bull calves when they are sold will the money go into an account (maybe for college) for the baby? Same with the heifer calves, calves and so forth? Then you would be building up a nice college fund or herd for the child. Of course, what are the chances of the child wanting the herd when grown? And remember someone other than the baby would have to do the chores. This could get complicated if things are not set out from the start.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
well as they live in the big city.i or the babies granpa would be taking care of the cow/heifer for them.an the money from calf sales would go into an account for the baby.heifers would be kept for their herd.an if they wanted to sell out.id be the 1 to buy them out.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Then it could work. Just wanted to make sure you had thought things through. How would the parents to be feel about this?

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
i doubt they care what i do for the baby.because they both know where i put the farm an cattle in my life.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Well,
I THINK!
You should give the baby a nice black Beefmaster bull!
AND, so the parents don't have to deal with it, you can just ship it to me, and I will take care of it for them!

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
the good black beefmaster is still out in the pasture.i have a cull beefmaster that will be hauled to the sale sun afternoon.when the cattle hauler shows up.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
ill get him/her a cow as soon as i can.an im hoping its a him :gig

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
Lotsa farm families here put a registered one in the child's name very very early and by the time the child is 4H age, they have a whole show string!
Of course the parents do the work.
The bad part is when the child gets married and a good portion of the herd goes with them. We've had a few farm families lament that situation, but happily, because that gives the couple a good start.

We've also had some bitter divorce proceedings over cows in the county too. Who gets which cows?