Thoughts on this calf’s confirmation

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think I posted it on my thread but we were -2 and up to maybe 15??? Hasn't hit 32 in 3 or 4 days. Not fun but at least most of the ice is off the trees... from the wind more than thawing. Been tough to be this cold this early in the season for us here. And the wet cold rain/sleet/ice... had some calves born but they seem to be okay so far....:fl:fl
Oh jeez that is cold and horrible. Here we are going to be up to 60s° by the week end, I’m getting down with this weather goin hot, cold, hot. Glad to hear your calves are okay so far, hopefully you’ll be able to keep it that way and they’ll continue to be okay during this cold weather. I just separated both mine to wean them from their mums.

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Question for y’all, how can I be getting more muscle on my two calves? We don’t give any shots that help grow the calves bigger faster, my parents like the all natural route. I have been told walking them will help, but how far do the need to be walked then? And does this actually help/work?

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Question for y’all, how can I be getting more muscle on my two calves? We don’t give any shots that help grow the calves bigger faster, my parents like the all natural route. I have been told walking them will help, but how far do the need to be walked then? And does this actually help/work?
I’ve heard walking uphill/downhill works for show goats and sheep to build muscle structure, but you have to be consistent about doing it (I’m not sure about calves). Have a schedule like once daily for a certain distance, or biweekly for a certain distance. It might work for calves, I’m not sure🤷‍♀️ I don’t raise cattle, just trying to help…
I’m glad your parents go all natural with animals, it’s best, although I can’t tell if your resentful of it or not:lol:

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have never shown cattle so don't know the ins and outs. I know that @Youngfarmer2019 is right that people that show lambs and goats do walking and that the uphill/downhill is supposed to help.... but with cattle there has to be the muscling in the genes too. So, I am not much help on that either. I am in agreement on the natural thing... we don't implant our calves either. It helps them to gain more but I am not interested in that so don't go there. We have a neighbor that implants his calves and they are a little bigger maybe, but I don't see the big benefit to it. Plus it can mess up a heifer if you want to keep her for a potential replacement; some do not cycle properly and some just will not breed or hold the pregnancy sometimes. Others do fine, but why take the chance?
Are you in a 4-H club or anything where you can ask about things to improve musculature on the calves?
How are they doing since you weaned them?

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I’ve heard walking uphill/downhill works for show goats and sheep to build muscle structure, but you have to be consistent about doing it (I’m not sure about calves). Have a schedule like once daily for a certain distance, or biweekly for a certain distance. It might work for calves, I’m not sure🤷‍♀️ I don’t raise cattle, just trying to help…
I’m glad your parents go all natural with animals, it’s best, although I can’t tell if your resentful of it or not:lol:
Okay thank you!! I love that my parents do all natural, it’s so much better, but sometimes I wonder if that’s why my cattle don’t look as “fit” 😂

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have never shown cattle so don't know the ins and outs. I know that @Youngfarmer2019 is right that people that show lambs and goats do walking and that the uphill/downhill is supposed to help.... but with cattle there has to be the muscling in the genes too. So, I am not much help on that either. I am in agreement on the natural thing... we don't implant our calves either. It helps them to gain more but I am not interested in that so don't go there. We have a neighbor that implants his calves and they are a little bigger maybe, but I don't see the big benefit to it. Plus it can mess up a heifer if you want to keep her for a potential replacement; some do not cycle properly and some just will not breed or hold the pregnancy sometimes. Others do fine, but why take the chance?
Are you in a 4-H club or anything where you can ask about things to improve musculature on the calves?
How are they doing since you weaned them?
Okay, thank you. I can ask around, yes. I have a friend who shows cattle and she’s been giving me some tips, we live pretty far from each other so she can’t come help, although I wish she could.

They are doing well, I’m trying to work them after a week off due to weaning them, I thought it would be best, especially with the bull 🤦‍♀️ but my heifer is being a bit stubborn so I’m thinking it wasn’t that good if an idea, luckily, they both picked up where we left off.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Win lose or draw, this is good experience for you and you will learn a lot. Being as natural and organic as possible is a good thing.
My Daddy was an organic gardener all his life, waaaay before organic was even something people even heard about, much less did themselves. So I just followed in his footsteps. You are blessed and fortunate to be raised up this way and to have the benefits of what your parents teach you, plus what you learn along the way.

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Win lose or draw, this is good experience for you and you will learn a lot. Being as natural and organic as possible is a good thing.
My Daddy was an organic gardener all his life, waaaay before organic was even something people even heard about, much less did themselves. So I just followed in his footsteps. You are blessed and fortunate to be raised up this way and to have the benefits of what your parents teach you, plus what you learn along the way.
Yes it is a good experience, which is my main reason for showing. I don’t believe I will place first or anything like that, but I do want to bring something that is worth the judge to look at if that makes sense.

And wow, that is amazing that your Daddy did all organic. I’m happy we do, we have small gardens and have them all organic, in my opinion, the food tastes better too 😋

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I trimmed up the calves top line and brisket a little yesterday and worked with em.

The bull calf mooves (pardon the pub, couldn’t help it :lol:) nice, a little slower when he doesn’t want to go in the direction I’m leading him in, but overall, this fella has a nice walk.
18CF506E-0739-4882-8502-F123AF72DEC9.jpeg

My heifer has to be the most stubborn lil thing ever…. 🤦‍♀️ If she doesn’t want to do anything, she will be extremely stubborn, put head weight in the halter, and throw a little fit (it’s a bit funny cuz she does this thing with her front legs, reminds me of the “Spanish Walk” in horses 🤣). She is a little “butt high” (don’t know if that tern works on cattle, but I know it’s a horse term) in this pic, the ground was a bit uneven, but I think that’s just how she is growing. 🤷‍♀️
BD9A1275-0947-4B08-B180-BAFC9347CF80.jpeg

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Also, did my dairy heifer, I don’t exactly know if I’ll show her or not because that would be 3 cows goin to fair… is it possible to show 3?
D9C42134-5C94-4BE2-9DEC-912AFC0C140A.jpeg

Latest posts