Thoughts on this calf’s confirmation

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Heifer has filled out alot from the first pictures. How old are they now? Any idea of approx weight? When will they be shown? Glad to see the update.
She has, I’m pretty happy with how she’s coming along. The heifer is 7 months and bull 6 months. Not sure about weight, somewhere in the high 100s. They will be shown in September

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know anything about showing cattle. What are the confirmation points that they look for?
And, after googling pictures of 'show cattle', is there a reason other than it's pretty, that they are clipped to have such square rumps and fluffy legs?
3d4356_503b4c3d5713470c8eb8353a547b6598~mv2.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know anything about showing cattle. What are the confirmation points that they look for?
And, after googling pictures of 'show cattle', is there a reason other than it's pretty, that they are clipped to have such square rumps and fluffy legs?
3d4356_503b4c3d5713470c8eb8353a547b6598~mv2.jpg
It’s called “fitting”. A good “fitter” can make a so-so cow look better. It’s like a beauty contest. Got to get that hair all fluffed up, trimmed and pretty!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cattle are judged on confirmation and a good fitter can make the best of what they have and make them look better. The judges still will feel the cattle to get an idea of the actual build and shape but alot is dependent on looks. In my opinion all that fluff and stuff is not an indication of the animal in what we refer to as it's "working clothes". It is what is wanted in the show rings.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Since your bull will be shown with other bull calves in his age/weight division, your heifer with other heifer calves her age/weight division, and your dairy heifer in a completely different dairy section with other dairy heifers in her age division, you will be able to show all 3 without any trouble. You will have to make sure you have someone standing at the gate if you have to hand off your bull and turn around and enter the ring immediately with the heifer (or vice versa). Check with the ring steward to make sure he/she knows that you are showing multiple animals in different classes. That way the steward will note in his/her book that you will be there before closing the class. Some judges will hold the class up to 10 minutes for an exhibitor that is showing in another ring to arrive. Make sure the judge and steward know that is where you are.

Since the dairy heifer will be in a dairy class you will have to make sure that your dairy and market classes are not in conflict with each other. If they are in different rings at the same time, again notify each ring steward and have someone waiting at each ring with the animals you have to show so you can immediately hand off the other animals and race to the other ring where you will have someone waiting with the animal for that class. Sometimes the steward and judge will allow a friend to walk the animal into the ring and you can then go in and switch places with them. Since you are showing in 4-H, the person who enters the ring must be under 18. Your parents cannot go in the ring, although depending on the strictness of your fair, they can take the animal from you outside the ring and return it to the assigned stall.

In showmanship you can show both your dairy heifer and one of the market animals since there will be both dairy showmanship and market showmanship. In market choose the one that behaves the best because showmanship classes, as you know, are judged on the fitting you have done with the animal, your prowess in showing, and the animal's behavior in the ring. This is assuming that the market classes are shown together with the only division being the exhibitor's age. If the market division has separate showmanship classes for bulls and heifers, then of course you can show all three in their own class.

Good Luck!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Fluffing the hair out on the legs and trimming it smoothly can give the impression of heavier bone which is desirable. The square rump trim is to make the top line look straighter and emphasize (or produce the appearance of) a meatier, thicker butt. A coarse neck and brisket can be improved by closer trimming of the hair. A good fitter can improve the appearance of a lesser animal while a poor fitter can ruin a good animal's appearance. When fitting and showing it is importance to understand the conformation requirements of the species and use of the animal.

CaliFarmsAR has very nice toplines on her bull and dairy heifer. When showing she can draw attention to these aspects of her animal when the judge looks her way in the lineup by casually running her hand along the topline. On the other hand, if the topline is poor the exhibitor should not do that because it will call attention to the fault. When showing, proper set up of the animal and proper speed at which to walk around the ring can send you up or down the line. Good showmanship and knowledge of your animal's good points and faults can mean the difference between a championship placement or a loss.

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hey y’all!
I’m back with another calf to get y’all’s opinion on. She is currently 6 months old (January baby), by the time fair is she will be 9 months. I asked some other’s opinion and they did like her, but said main thing is her being deeper in rib area, but that can come with age. So whatcha all think?
987205D2-8C13-42A9-8DE0-6D6754A728CB.jpeg
353F3B2D-A2C6-4C24-88D6-A62B51DE4B56.jpeg
6AB81F9D-E73B-4E28-B312-75D7BA81B0A0.jpeg
2B19778B-84F1-4D7A-9F7B-EC6AD2649913.jpeg

Attachments

• 1C7B3AE6-221A-49D8-99ED-872C98DF5C9C.jpeg
    1C7B3AE6-221A-49D8-99ED-872C98DF5C9C.jpeg
    605.1 KB · Views: 27

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Also, updated on the other two calves!
My bull calf ended up having to be sold, we are selling a few head and my heifer really turned out “leggy” with also not wanting to walk nice on the lead, so I wasn’t going to “force it” cause I know tryna force them to walk really wouldn’t look good in the show ring.

Latest posts