1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Properly disbudded? - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on using PT for fence posts (NG dairy goats)?

Discussion in 'Organic Husbandry - Goats' started by seachick, May 16, 2019 at 8:47 AM.

1. May 16, 2019 at 8:47 AM
    seachick

seachick Chillin' with the herd

We try to do everything on our small suburban homestead as chemical-free as possible. We don't have pressure treated wood anywhere except for the floor joists in buildings. However, we're building a small pasture (~1,000 sf) for the two new Nigerian Dwarf dairy goats we are getting, and I'd really like it to last longer than the 9 or so years we get out of local Eastern white cedar posts. (We live in Maine so basically all I have to choose from is local white cedar or PT or hemlock.)

Our soil is heavy clay and doesn't drain well. We definitely want wooden posts with knotted wire fencing, since we want our neighbors to be happy with our "cute" goat set-up and not complain ;)

The fence posts are on the outside of the fencing, so less likely to get chewed. What do you think? Is this an acceptable trade-off for longevity? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

2. May 16, 2019 at 8:54 AM
    greybeard

greybeard Herd Master

Steel, if you are adamant about "chemical free".
    I use PT of some kind everywhere, or I wouldn't have a fence or outbuilding left standing. Some of my corner posts, I put in the ground in 1964-1965. Others are more recent..80s thru present.
    I don't mind doing work, but I really really REALLY hate doing the same thing twice.

3. May 16, 2019 at 9:25 AM
    seachick

Thanks, Greybeard. I've just been reading lots of your excellent fencing tips!
    I realize steel is the most chemical free, but it also tends to be more agricultural looking and less "cute". Since having goats in my neighborhood is kind of a gray-area zoning-wise, I'm trying to make sure the whole set-up is as aesthetically pleasing as possible for happy neighbors. I do use T-posts in the wooded area of our lot, but this is in a very visible part of the lawn. I'm leaning towards PT right now even though it makes me a little uneasy.

4. May 16, 2019 at 10:09 AM
    OneFineAcre

OneFineAcre Herd Master

Our fences are from PT wood. Our fence is on the outside and we've never had an issue with goats chewing the fence posts.

B&B Happy goats likes this.
  5. May 16, 2019 at 10:21 AM
    greybeard

greybeard Herd Master

Well, I don't do "cute" in any sense of the word so I can't address that. There are some very nice (ornate/ornamental) steel fencing products that would do the trick but may be cost prohibitive.

Today's PT is deemed "environmentally friendly" as it uses either copper oxide (azole) or ACQ..alkaline copper quat. The days of chromated copper arsenate (CCA) are long past and is not available any more, as the FDA banned sale of any product containing that to residential users..

I know lots of people that use modern PT for raised beds raising their own vegetables.

Some of the new non-copper "green" alternatives are showing to be less sustainable than the manufacturer stated.they are rotting in the ground.
    https://www.engineering.com/Designe...mber-reported-to-be-rotting-unexpectedly.aspx

Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 10:40 AM
  6. May 16, 2019 at 10:27 AM
    seachick

Thanks! That's what I was hoping to hear...

7. May 16, 2019 at 10:28 AM
    seachick

I'm sure I wouldn't do "cute" if I had a real farm ;) I did look at those decorative steel ones, but, yeah, waaaay too expensive. Thanks!

8. May 16, 2019 at 1:44 PM
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

I have chemical issues to the point where I can't walk down the soap aisle at the store. Forget about getting near to fertilizers and ag chemicals. I live as chemical free as possible. BUT there are places for chemicals and fence posts are one of them. We used treated posts for the back yard fence and corners, H braces and neither the horses or sheep have chewed them. I have not reacted to them either. Now if I was to go chew on one, I would probably get a reaction, but really, who's that stupid?

Go ahead and use the treated posts, it is hard work and as GB said, you only want to do it one time.

B&B Happy goats likes this.
  9. May 16, 2019 at 2:21 PM
    seachick

Thank you! You guys have convinced me :)

Baymule and B&B Happy goats like this.