ThreeBoysChicks - Sold Sheep and Guineas, what to buy.....

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like?
Thurmont, MD 21788 We have four seasons, Summers get up to mid-90's on average and Winters get down to 30's on average.
2. How many people are in your family? Marital status?
Married to wife Karen for 22 years and have three sons (19, 15 and 12) as of 01/28/2012.
3. How would you define your farm?
Hobby Farm on 4 acres, with a 28 ft X 28 Ft barn with 2 12X12 ft stalls. Several out buildings (shed, chicken houses, etc).
4. What would you do with your spare time if you had any resources you needed?
Play in the dirt and with animals all the time. Wait - that is what I do with my spare time.
5. Have you ever built a house, barn , or other types of building? Do you want to?
I have built several chicken houses. As a kid, I worked with my Dad who had his own business doing constructions, painting, etc.
6. Can you weld? Steel, aluminum, MiG, TiG, stick, Oxy-Acet? No
7. Who or what inspired you to be a farmer/rancher, hobby farmer?
Family - Mom and Dad both came from families that farmed.
8 Is it a hobby or an occupation? Hobby
9. In what areas are you knowledgeable and in what areas would you like to learn more?
Gardening, Canning, Cooking, Baking, Horses, Chickens. Just getting started with Goats, etc.
10. In what types of farming will you never choose to do? I will give anything a try.
11. Are you interested in providing more of your own food supply?
I would love to do more canning, but don't have the time to harvet and can / freeze.
12. Where do you end up when you sink into yourself, away from the outside world?
Either in the barn, in the garden or in front of a Piano.
13. Can you drive a farm tractor or a semi? Tractor - Yes
14. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?
Love music, play Piano and Clarinet. Have done numerous counted cross stick, sowing and quilting projects. If I had time, I would be ok to teach.
15. Can you legally have all forms of livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?
We have Horses, goats, sheep, Geese, Ducks, Guineas and Chickens. and the only thing we can not have are Pigs
16. Can you operate a lathe? Metal, wood? - No
17. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing? Yes - Vegetables and Flowers
18. Do you fish? Bait or explosives? No
29. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? raw milk? farm fresh eggs?
Like to Cook and Bake. We always use our own Fresh Eggs.
30. What was your best animal experience? Worst?
Best Animals experience was Getting my first Horse of my own. Worst was having to put 2 horses down in 6 months.
35 What is on your to do list? Building more Chicken Houses and breeding pens.
37. In what do you trust? My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ
38. Do you make and fix things yourself to save money? If I can, I fix it myself.
39. Has the experience with animals changed your attitude or habits?
THe trust and loves have always impressed me. If only we could be so good.

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I hate having to work on weekends. I work for a computer software company and have a client who is doing work this weekend that required me to check my blackberry often and assist when necessary. Makes it hard to really get into a project.

Hatched out some beautiful B/B/S Silkies and Buff Slikies from SundownSilkies on BYC to improve my Silkie flocks. Need to seperate my Geese soon for breeding purposes. I have been hatching small quantities of chickens and selling chicks as fast as I hatch them.

My Nina is my Nubian doe who is due, see the thread about her progress. http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=14693

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Looking forward to reading your journal Ed!

I'm planning on getting Geese this Spring...any housing tips for me?

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
elevan said:

My geese do there own thing. Snow, rain, sun, it does not matter, they stay outside. They love to have a swimming hole. I have recylced kid's sand boxes that work great. I use recycle dog houses as nest for them. I just seperated mine as they should soon start breeding and laying eggs. Mine are all housed with the horses, goats, sheep, etc. So they can go in the horse stalls, etc. but they really stay outside most of the time. In winter, I feed them laying pellets, cracked corn and a little sweet feed. In the summer, they pretty much eat grass. I give them some corn as a snack now and then.

I love my Geese.

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
ThreeBoysChicks said:
elevan said:

My geese do there own thing. Snow, rain, sun, it does not matter, they stay outside. They love to have a swimming hole. I have recylced kid's sand boxes that work great. I use recycle dog houses as nest for them. I just seperated mine as they should soon start breeding and laying eggs. Mine are all housed with the horses, goats, sheep, etc. So they can go in the horse stalls, etc. but they really stay outside most of the time. In winter, I feed them laying pellets, cracked corn and a little sweet feed. In the summer, they pretty much eat grass. I give them some corn as a snack now and then.

I love my Geese.
What kind of geese do you have? I live in the south so in the winter here I always get to see lots of geese since they nest here until spring. I love to see the fields filled with them it is amazing. I have a picture I will post so you will see what I mean.

5143_eureka_springs_002.jpg

5143_eureka_springs_001.jpg

they were getting ready to land

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
w20111223_Geese.jpg

The ones with the Orange Beak are a French Telouse pair, The one in the front is Piere, the male and the other is PG (Piere's Girl). The ones in the back are Gus (Brown Chinese) (farthest right) and GG (Gus's Girl).

Henry2_20120202.jpg
Snow-20120202.jpg

Henry is a Tufted Roman and Snow is a Tufted Roman Female - Don't mind her dirty back, they are breeding.

w20111223_Welsh_Harlequin_Pair.jpg

And here are the Welsh Harlequin Pair that I will be breeding this year also

I have some other ducks that I use for Eggs. We love to bake with Duck Eggs and I have built up a pretty good customer base for duck eggs at this point.