THROW SOME KNOWLEDGE AT ME!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
How to tell sex of a sheep without lifting the tail. Ewes squat to pee, rams and wethers pee from under their belly. Rams have obvious balls that hang down between their hind legs.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
:lol: true but, I can only think how long it will take to watch them all pee, then remember which one was which. :lol: Y might want to spray paint #s on them first.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
This appearance = ram

Ram behind.jpg

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have a chute system but for every day handling we just keep them coming to a shelter when called that we can close off to keep them in. Our ram is too big for our handling facilities so the shelter works fine for him. He is big but not fast so I just get him in a corner and keep his head up to do whatever needs to be done. It obviously takes both of us, one holding and the other working on him.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Gosh Mini... I'm not sure I DO know... :hu Could you sexplain it for us? ;)

Ducklover2

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ok for all of you that don't know the rams are castrated. We have a pen but we dont lock them up in in at night because if a predator somehow got through our fort (aka a fence with barbed wire top and bottom exept above the gates) the pen (that we can lock them in) fencing could allow a horse under it.

My avatar is one of our sheep. My personal favorite. I dont know why hes orange. I can provide pics if needed.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
:clap Of course! Pictures are ALWAYS needed! We all love ooing and ahhhing over everyone else's animals and "stuff". :D

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Before I got my sheep, I built tiny head gates/stanchions so that I could entice them into those with feed and then hold them. Made examining or dosing a lot easier and only takes one person to work them that way.