Tick control 1 week old sheep

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have used pyrethrin dairy sprayers in the house for that past 30 years to control flies. When we had so many dairy goat that we were milking 2x daily goat kids, and market animals being raised for fair, the flies were impossible! With 4 kids in and out of the house constantly I found those household sized dairy sprayers and we have used them in most of the rooms ever since! When we start getting more than 1 fly in the house we know it's time to change cannisters or batteries Love those things! Pyrethrin is derived from a variety of marigold I think. They are grown as commercial crops in South Africa for natural insecticides. I had never heard of pyrethrin when we first found the sprayers but now it is in every type of insecticide that claims to be organic. I even used it in a horse fly spray on a little gelding that was allergic to regular chemical horse spray.

I found out about his allergies when I took him out in the wash alone and sprayed the heck out of him so he would be "comfortable" during our morning ride. :lol::lol::lol: He nearly had me off half a dozen times and when I got home 2 hours later and hosed him down I found he had come out in welts! Poor boy! I ran the old water all over him for an hour, shampooed him, then gave him a rinse with diluted vinegar. He smelled like a pickle but seemed to feel better. I finally found a new (at the tmie) spray with pyrethrin and citrus oil that worked for him. :hugsPoor boy.