Time mixed formula can sit out?

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I want to feed cooled formula, but I'm not sure how long it can sit for.

Its made with hot water, 110, so it will dissolve and then leave it in open cups to cool down so the lambs don't over eat.

Been leaving it for 3.5-4hrs in between feedings, and I make a new batch after feeding the lambs to sit and cool. I'd like to make two or three batches so that I can replace bottles in their holder without worrying that they will gobble more down just because it's warm.

I don't want it so cold that I need to warm it up some, fridge would be too cold and rewarming without nuking takes way too long and wastes too much water.

One room is 60F, other about 50. Always smells delicious and looks proper.

How long can I leave them before people call it iffy?

This is also why I buy the tiny bags and not the 25# ones. Though, I have 4 lambs in the house right now and a 25# bag might of been a good idea...halfway through bag three already!

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Things may be a bit different over here. My feed comes in 25kg/10kg and 5 kg bags.....and is EXPENSIVE.

I'm not sure about how long it can be left in the open when it's made up, but boiled and then cooled water will have less bacteria and should last longer.

My current practice is to with out the powder and mix with cold water to about 50% of the full volume. When I want to use it for feeding, I top up to 100% with boiling water. The concentrated feeds with cold water wait in the fridge until I'm ready to feed them to the lambs.

4 'house lambs' must be making a huge mess! If it's not lashing down with rain or bitterly cold by day, couldn't they be outside by day and in the shed overnight? My lambs, now about 3 weeks old, spend their day in a fenced area adjacent to my vegetable patch and come in overnight (daytime temps 50-60 degrees....night-time down to freezing). I have only kept them in the house for the first hour or two after birth, essentially to keep them away from mum, dry them, and let them get on their feet (triplet births). They then have gone into the shed, with or without a dog coat/sweater (depending on size, fleece etc) with other bottle lambs.

It always seems to me that bottle lambs are ravenous, suck enthusiastically on their bottles, then suddenly stop and walk away.......essentially 'I'm done" and that's it.My bottle lambs nearly always keep up size-wise with their peers, but ewe lambs tend to have a rather 'rounder belly' than their siblings who are with mum.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
They're all gone now to their new homes.
They were in the house the first week to figure out who had the milk, then out during the day and only in when it rained at night. I'm not going to bundle up every 4hrs and hike out to them, I love my sleeping time too much, so its easier to have them in the house or in the connected yard. I just open the door and they come flying over.
They would all eat forever if I didn't limit it. I tried using a rack and keeping bottles full with cold formula, but they just eat and eat, then get runny poop, so IDK how others can do it, its impossible for my sheep it seems. =/
My formula won't mix in cold water, just gets lumpy, so I used just enough hot water to blend it it, then used cold water to drop the temp.
They were fairly even with the ones out with mom, if not slightly bigger.