Time to make Cheese

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
@norseofcourse if the book you have is by Ricki Carrol then I don't think there is any mention of the whey other than saying that it has to be whey from making hard cheese. For those that want the science behind cheese making the book Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking by Gianaclis Caldwell is the best.

I just checked that book out of the library and will be reading it :)

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Had so much going on tonight but in the midst of crazy text calls and emails I managed to make RICOTTA!:th
:woot

It came out great... still draining... 1 gallon of milk does not make a lot of ricotta. :\

We did the recipe where you heat til real high and hold for 20 minutes and then add the fresh squeezed lemon juice.

Uh.... yeah LOTS of lemons. :eek:

Very tasty!

I plan on mixing it with Mozzarella and Parmesan and doing stuffed Portabella Mushrooms! :drool

It would take 12 gallons of milk for me to make enough for stuffed shells to feed my family.:ep LOL And only a few of us like Portabellas so we get the good stuff! :lol: :p

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
so once you are done making cheese and can't use what has drained off for more cheese....what do you use it for?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Feeder pigs :) ...Blueberry bushes..
Making more today... will do a side of stuffed large shells (not jumbo) some portabellas and a nice salad.:)

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
oh ok, my blueberry bushes will be happy :), will pour on them once it is done raining.

We just finished trying to make ricotta cheese from the whey drained from the Chevre we made the other day- we used some more whole goat milk and lemon juice- we ended up with about 2 cups of ricotta- will use it in lasagna today.

germanchickTX

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know the law for selling milk products in TX and can tell me in Laymans terms? I'm not good with understanding legalese language...
Could I give it away for "donations" and with labeling as "not for Human consumption" and/or with "at your own risk"?
Thanks!