Timothy hay in OH

Libertyangora

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm looking for a cheap source for Timothy hay, for rabbits year round. ( not an ad just wondering where people get theirs.)

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
We buy (making again next year) grass hay (mostly orchard and clover) for my sheep and mini horses so that's what the bunnies get. Timothy can't handle grazing so it's not available around here. If we ever have our own hay field I would like to have some Timothy. But orchard grass is a good alternative.

Libertyangora

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I would guess it's too late now to get anything else.
just Don't like spending spending six dollars a week on hay. I currently get it at tractor supply co.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would guess it's too late now to get anything else.
just Don't like spending spending six dollars a week on hay. I currently get it at tractor supply co.
I would check where large livestock people get theirs, people will sell hay thru the winter. 6 bucks will buy a 50 to 70# bale around here. Most hay producers don't mind selling a bale or 2 if you ask

Libertyangora

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We don't really have any livestock raisers where we live and the people that do make their own and don't have any to spare. But thanks anyways!

Libertyangora

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
UPDATE: my dad just told me a guy he works with makes Timothy hay and probably has some for sale so hopefully I won't have to keep paying six bucks for a couple pounds of hay.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's serendipitous! Hope your dad makes that connection for you.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've found hay through craigslist, asking anyone who I think might know someone (and following up on leads), and driving on some back roads and seeing 'hay' signs at farms.

Other things you might try are posting a 'wanted' notice at TSC or any other local feed store - heck, even at a couple vet's offices. Or a wanted ad on craigslist. Or contact any 4H clubs that raise any animals that eat hay and ask if they know where you might get a bale or two. If a timothy/orchardgrass mix will work for your rabbits, you may have better luck seeking that.

What area of Ohio are you in? Anywhere near Summit county?

Libertyangora

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I don't know ( not really good with remembering names.) but we are in north central OH right outside of Lexington, near Mansfield. Also the man my dad works with makes "horse hay" so it's really mostly just Timothy. Thanks! @Latestarter

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Goats aren't as "picky" as horses. Basically any hay good enough for horses should be more than good enough for goats. In fact it will probably cost you more as it's higher quality hay.