TIPS for tracking your escapees...

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have animals -- they get out sometimes. Have always preached that they will return if given some time, hey, they know where the feed is!! Many, many years ago, I learned that training them to come to a "call" and a food bucket was critical. It is hard to find a black Angus at night!

Last night, home from work and it is dusk so hurrying to feed. Get to lower fields and find...2 pigs not in pen. 2 black pigs. Begin calling and searching with flash light, eventually heard them talking to me, way up at the front end of the farm. Go to them, walk them back and put into pen.

This lovely Saturday morning I let my self sleep until 7AM. Out to feed. Hmmm, 11 goats gone.....find hole. Head to lower end to find them and pigs are gone, again!! Didn't see how they had gotten out last night as it was dark, felt I would this AM. See goats eating lots of honeysuckle from fence (good girls!) -- and my daughter's elephant ear plant. (She'll be less than happy.)

So, I offer you tips on tracking pigs..........more obvious than deer.......

First, look for prints. This is a good nose print

10291601.jpg

They make a left turn here ----

10291602.jpg

Then, looks like a right & a turn around here........

10291603.jpg

I follow back up toward house where I find them-----napping in the sun!!!
They've been working hard!! Walked over 1/3 mile back to house.:th So, I left them to "rest" while I got ready to take them back to their pen. Fixed the panel they had lifted so not able to now. Went back & got them so they could follow me back. Here are the culprits, checking an empty bucket on the way........what a mess these little gals made!!!

10291604.jpg

I am so glad they are the little AGHs & not full sized!! They had food, water & an acre to call home. Just wasn't enough!! Pregnant and couldn't rest, I guess.

Then, I go for goats -- who had decided to walk up without me -- and they, too are resting and exactly same spot where the pigs had slept!

Hey, Mom, looking for us????? :cool:

10291610.jpg

Such is life on the farm. Now you will know what to look for if your pigs get out. Hope it helps you "track them". :th

Now I need to hook up the blade on the tractor.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
This post made my day!

One day a few years ago someone pulled in our driveway and asked if we had a pig... We said yeah... Why? And then our little pot belly came trotting down the driveway behind him. Troublemakers! Glad you were able to round 'em all up!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep, this tilling could make me get out of the pig, pig, piggy ownership. Right after I get next summer's pork growing.:cool:

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Wow... they did some serious tilling in a very short period of time! I'm impressed! Glad you found all them strays and got 'em rounded back up and re-contained :clap

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
The pictures are of the largest areas. They also walked along some fence lines and tested patches as they went! Never had them do this so badly, feel it's raging hormones. I mean their feed wasn't even all gone!! Water tubs good and even their mud hole still wet......they seem to WANT to be back up at their old pen. May have to move them back.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
First, look for prints. This is a good nose print

10291601-jpg.23639

I mean their feed wasn't even all gone!! Water tubs good and even their mud hole still wet......
Thousands of years of a species' evolution and deeply ingrained instincts are pretty hard to overcome.

Tho yours are obviously NOT feral hogs, the pictures are very good scaled down examples of the same kind of damage a sounder of feral hogs can do in one night.

I had a boar escape one night, and couldn't find him all day. He was off in the national forest. Set up a hog trap right next to his pen of sows, and next morning he was in it. He just couldn't stay away from the girls for long.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
How did I miss this? Too funny! I love the pics and all your tracking expertise that went into getting your piggies and goats back home where they belong! :lol: