Tips on getting goat used to milk stanchion?

mandi224

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Any tips on getting a goat used to being on the milk stanchion when they've never been on one?

I just brought home a Nigerian Dwarf doe and her doeling. She kidded on Jan. 2nd and her buckling was sold as a bottle baby to someone else a week before I bought mom & baby girl. The breeder said she had only used a milking machine on her in the past and that she'd never been on a milking stand before.

I've been trying to work with her for a couple days -- I move slowly and gently as best I can. I keep the doeling where she can see her. I offer her grain on the stand but she has NO interest in it. The only thing that seems to keep her content is black oil sunflower seeds, but I didn't want to give her TOO many of those.

It's only been a couple of days, so I'm sure time and consistency will help too, but in the meantime are there any other things I could offer her? Any other tricks or suggestions?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
You just have to keep at it... Some "break" easier that others. Start with a routine and then stick with it. If it comes down to tying her feet down, then that's what you'll have to do. There are some threads on here from others who have gone through it. Good luck!

mandi224

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm trying! Even though her baby is still with her, I'm putting her on the stand morning and evening for a few minutes to brush her, check her hooves, and just talk to her and pet her, even if we're not milking. I'm hoping establishing the routine will help.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe if you can get another person to help you for awhile, when we started milking it took a couple of us to milk 1 of our does- she was fine getting up on the milk stand but would eat her grain ration faster then I could milk and would dance on the stand as well.

Is there another "treat" that she will eat- if so maybe use that only while milking.

Good luck as @Latestarter mention it takes time.