To be a buck or wether, the tale of brothers....

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi everyone, it’s me..again! Lol! So, I have these two adorable bucklings, they are 3/4 ND and 1/4 planer goat...you know...the ‘Batman’ goat..with big ears? I just love those ears!! One is named Willy, he’s bigger and stronger, and we naturally thought we’d keep him as our buck. He has the best personality! He is such a charmer! He loves to snuggle on my lap, eat my hair and climb on my head...which I don’t think is going to stop, even when he’s 40lbs! :lol: His coloring is beautiful...very much like his smaller brother Walter. In fact, at times it’s hard to tell them apart. Walter is definitely more shy. But still a very sweet goat, and perhaps would be a less ‘Bucky’ buck? Chris has already given me the talk about needing to sell him because we don’t need two bucks with the same genes, and we don’t need a wether. I would like to keep him for obvious reasons!! But also, so that Willy has a playmate!! My girls are free range, and I want my buck happy, not crying all day. My last buck got aggressive...that is the last thing I want to happen here!! It would break my heart!! So, here is my question for you all.....Which would you pick? @rachels.haventhought it might be fun to get some input from the group....sure hope she’s right!! :). Here are some pictures.. Willy is the one with the large white stripe going down the front of him face. Walter has like, circles around his eyes of white. They are both good lookers, IMO...but, then again...ALL of MY goats are the cutest goats ever to be born and are just a miracle of life!:love:weee
73EA6B8E-4BC5-4712-B48F-C8C3A2707BAD.jpeg
F3FE28C4-7FFC-4715-9E73-AE4C746FF0E2.jpeg
2F52C00D-D782-4445-8D4D-A53015EFA387.jpeg
32C6142E-04B7-4103-AF1E-F002C278FED3.jpeg
FD4A4A6C-6F86-428B-8ECE-553E8EB09728.jpeg
FFE1D96C-9A44-4067-815B-17894738A262.jpeg
04B29B9F-128B-4C81-9973-FC8CE37E0EBE.jpeg
0AC04031-F5E0-435D-86EA-B164153E336A.jpeg
8DD29D3E-6EC8-4A8D-9B1D-05B75E266AB5.jpeg

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
My experience is all intact bucks will get " bucky" that's just what they are ment to do. , if you have a male kid that has been allowed to climb all over you when he is little, expect him to still view you as a climbing toy as he becomes a adult. The buck we have was a bottle baby and raised to not climb on us, as a adult he will try to challenge humans by rearing on his back legs and tilting his head to head butt....
I am now finding that as far as "pet goats " wethers are awesome for us, no stink, hormones... and pretty darn easy going...
Guess you gotta know your future plans with your goats., pets , breeding , ?
if your looking for a opinion....I would have to agree with Chris. Try selling him, get used to letting some go for sale if you continue to breed them....
Having had my two intact bucks (two years old) ....it's a challenge .....one buck will do well alone with a fence separating him from the doe's...two fences a foot apart stops any fence breeding, buck aprons also work.....
Well guess it's time to go feed now :frow...have a great day !

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok.....I guess I will stop Willy from climbing on me now!! And I suppose I can let one go. Which one to keep? I’m so much more attached to Willy...but, since Walter is shy, would he be less assertive? Chris is going to HATE the idea of a double fence...double money!! So Barb...you willing to tell him? :lol:

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
One fence can be welded wire ....or a three strand hot wire is even better, if you do that , solar is great and cheap enough, just be sure to buy at least a 10 mile one in case you want to expand the hot wire to other areas...
A buck is 50 percent of your herd, if you want to breed and you want improvement in your herd ..go for the best buck as far as conformation, dams under etc... if for your purpose is pet only, still look at the two choices you have and pick the better buck that has the qualities you want to pass on to your new kids being born..
Sure I will tell Chris...but I am not coming to visit and tell him till that snow is gone and you put the heat on 80 :lol:

Last edited:

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
One fence can be welded wire ....or a three strand hot wire is even better, if you do that , solar is great and cheap enough, just be sure to buy at least a 10 mile one in case you want to expand the hot wire to other areas...
A buck is 50 percent of your herd, if you want to breed and you want improvement in your herd ..go for the best buck as far as conformation, dams under etc... if for your purpose is pet only, still look at the two choices you have and pick the better buck that has the qualities you want to pass on to your new kids being born..
Sure I will tell Chris...but I am not coming to visit and tell him till that snow is gone and you put the heat on 80 :lol:
Well, if we’re going for udder quality...she makes too much milk, it’s not tight, but long nipples. The boys might be too big to breed with my smaller ND girls? I’m so twisted up with this! I really didn’t want a buck...because...Chris had to take care of him...and Chris didn’t want to do the work, so we got rid of him. But...both of these boys are sooo beautiful I’d love to pass that down to my future kids!! When we saw them, we were thrilled!! It’s a toss up, for sure! Ugh

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
When raising a buck, you can't treat him like a doe. So you can love on him by petting him and such but i wouldn't let him in your lap or to climb on you. And diffently no playing. He needs to respect(animal world have healthy fear) you other wise you will have to earn that respect back when he an adult. We had a sweet buck Grant some times he would decide to test me and he would get pinned. Holding them on the ground on their side teaches them you are a predator and can and will take them out if they test you.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hmmmmm. That’s a wonderful thought..to keep them both!! I caught Chris in a good mood despite the cold! He was holding Willy...17lbs!! I told him that I just don’t think he can be our buck because he’s too big, but I just can’t even think of selling him because I’m too attached! I said I want to wether him. He asked why? I said because he’s so snuggly. Chris hugged him tight and asked if he was a spooner? I’m hoping this bodes well for me? Then we talked about Walter...I said I would sell him if I had to, just to be able to keep Willy. Or keep him as our buck? He said Walter might even be too big to be our buck too. So, it’s still, up in the air..BUT, it’s out there with Chris, that I just want Willy as a wether so he stays my pet. And we both see he’ll be too big for our girls? AND, he didn’t say no, so that’s A huge plus in my book!! :weee

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well...I got my wish!! I get to make Willy a wether!! Yeah!! Bad news though, have to sell Walter. I will surely bawl my eyes out that day...but I will make certain he goes to a good home and ask for updates often! :). I’m just so thrilled that I can keep my Willy! Since we are going to let the buyer decide if they want Walter as a buck or wether, I decided to not let him jump on me...but, he isn’t like that at all, so it shouldn’t be too hard. And, we’re going to follow @rachels.haven ’s advice and wait until the weather is nicer to sell him. She said people are more willing to buy in the spring, plus, he’s not weaned. :)