To breed or not to breed?

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've been thinking about the day that I will have to replace my mare. She's so special and such a good match for me. She's a proven brood mare and a very good mom, has very healthy babies.

I've thought of breeding her so I would have a replacement for her when she is ready to retire. However, the thought of starting a young horse is pretty intimidating. :/

My father bought me a bred pony when I was a kid with the intent that when I outgrew the pony her (hopefully larger) offspring would be there for me to transition into. Well, that never happened. My parents new nothing of colt starting and my foal turned out pretty wild and even completely untouchable. It wouldn't have been impossible to start training her, but I was only 9 and no one else was interested! So, that foal went off to a horse dealer to be trained and resold. :hit I never saw her again.

Awaiting the birth of a foal is so exciting and I would love to do that again, although its pretty scary too! I just don't know what to do? I've only been around older, experienced horses and never dealt with a youngster. How much of an undertaking would this be? Any thoughts?

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
With the price of horses what it is, you might be better off purchasing a young one and getting EXACTLY what you want in color and gender. Perhaps even a closely related baby.

There is no down time for your mare, no possible issues with foaling problems or getting her bred, added expenses if things don't go well. Seems like the most desired foals from a special mare are difficult to achieve and very expensive. Been there and done that more than once! Resulted in no living babies from two mares, over three years. Also experienced broodmares before coming to us. Older mares can have more issues just with age.

Your choice, your money. Foal should be worth three times the stud fee when it hits the ground. That still only covers lay up time on mare, your expenses to produce the new born foal. You still have a lot of costs ahead, years, before foal is ready to ride. If foal is only going to be worth a few hundred dollars, not worth the expense or effort to breed the mare. You end up in the hole on costs.

Sad but true in cost studies for breeders, but most folks never see it that way.

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Don't.

(Unless you have lots of extra money burning a hole in your pocket and don't mind especially if it ends up being somewhat, or entirely, wasted)

First, breeding is WAY expensive, even if done in a fairly half-assed kind of way (which I am not recommending). There is the stud fee and any associated expenses such as transporting/boarding the mare or doing AI; some extra vaccinations that you should do; usually vet expenses (potentially significant if 'the unexpected happens'); and -- here is the biggie -- you have to house/feed/trim/vet the horse for like THREE YEARS (ish) before you can even BEGIN to do anything ridinglike with it. Even if you keep your horses at home on home-raised hay, that is a pretty significant chunk of change that, especially in today's horse market, if you applied it to just BUYING a three year old you would get probably quite a lot nicer horse than you could breed yourself, and certainly more ASSURED of being what you wanted (and live, and sound -- a lot can happen in those three years of growing up...).

(Plus, once you make the mental commitment to breed, there is a tendency to want to follow through on it. I know an awful lot of people who have sunk an awful lot of money into trying to get foals out of proven previously-easy-to-breed-and-foal mares who developed reproductive difficulties of one sort or another.)

Secondly, even with a well-selected stallion, it is really common for offspring NOT to be particularly a copy of their parents, especially in regards to whatever *particular* characteristics that you would most want to repeat.

Whereas, if you go horse-shopping, you can (as goodhors says) make pretty sure you're getting what you want.

So if you actually CARE what you get and where your money goes -- and especially if you are inexperienced at handling babies -- I very, very seriously suggest that you find some other outlet for your "wanna see birth of foal again" urges and just go BUY a horse. Perhaps you could breed chickens, or get a few sheep or goats to breed, or foster a pregnant momcat or dog ;)

Sorry, but, just callin' it like I see it,

Pat

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm with Pat. Too many horses and not enough owners.

I thought about breeding my mare once, and I'm glad I didn't. Instead I bought a 3 yr old filly sired by the stallion I wanted to breed to. Didn't have the down time or health risks and was able to start training her right away. Which, I had already trained several horses by the time I got her.

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
michickenwrangler said:
I'm with Pat. Too many horses and not enough owners.
That's what I was thinking. I've been adamantly against breeding, but my family thinks it would be so much fun. We've done the goat and chicken thing and everyone thinks we should have a baby horse next! I personally don't want to risk my mare's health either. She's special enough to me to want to breed her but the potential risks of a complicated pregnancy or birth just aren't worth it. I wouldn't want to take the chance of losing both mare and foal, that would be devastating. I'd be a nervous wreck waiting for a foal anyway!

I just had to ask since I'm getting so much pressure from everyone to breed her. I'm sticking with my gut instincts... no!

Horsiezz

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I think this a decision that you need to make up entirely up on your own,because everyone has their opinions here and I wouldnt make up your mind entirely on someone elses opinion. Think about it, and take your time. Think of all consequences,good and bad,and are you in the financial position and so on.

Good Luck!

greeneggsandham

Just born
Reaction score
Adopt a nurse mare foal. You still get to raise a youngster, but don't have to worry about your mare and all the things that could go wrong. I dream about breeding my girl, but I know I never will. I would be heartbroken if I lost the foal, but even more devistated if I lost my mare. So when my geldings time is up (he's 24) I will either adopt a foal or go to a local rescue and adopt a young horse. There are so many sweet horses out there that are looking for a good home.

w c

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Another vote for Don't. Too much risk, too much money, NOT 'so much fun' to break them, either. Civilizing an unhalterbroken foal is not a bruise free activity.