1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. All of your pig talk got me in TROUBLE!
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Contest Time!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

To geld or not to geld that is the question......

Discussion in 'Everything Else Horses, Mules & Donkeys' started by PamL, Sep 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Sep 14, 2017
    PamL

PamL Chillin' with the herd

Good Morning,
    I have a mini jack that just turned 1. I have an appointment to get him gelded next Thursday. I just found 2 Jenny's that need rehomed last night and now I am debating on getting him gelded or not. The girls are mother and daughter ages are about 13-14 & 5-6 years old. Should I let nature take its course and try for babies or just get him gelded? I will add that he is a little brat! He is super friendly but very feisty and likes to bite. We had to keep him separated from the cows because of biting and chasing. I was also hoping that the girls would help him settle down. Anyone with experience that can guide me in the right direction???? Thanks :)

2. Sep 14, 2017
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Herd Master

3. Sep 14, 2017
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Loving the herd life

GELD.

I raised them. If he is feisty now, the jennets will NOT gentle that. Donkeys are very aggressive in their breeding habits. They like to chase the jennets and mount when she is too tired to run. I have seen them bite one they didn't like until stitches were needed. Plus, what do you intend to do with more?

So, if gelded, they can roam together & he will settle some ---will take 6-8 weeks before ---so keep separate. He will like some of his on kind.

Donkeys are far stronger than they appear. I had a 32" jack that was gentle & easy to work until the jennets cycled. THEN, two men who were 6' tall & 200# each could not hold leadlines on each side of halter. It's like a tank with legs!!

Just because an animal has the equipment, why use it unless there is great improvement in the get. Too many are in rescues now. We should house them, not make more. IMO

4. Sep 14, 2017
    Bunnylady

Bunnylady True BYH Addict

5. Sep 14, 2017
    PamL

Thanks all! I will keep the appointment to get him gelded. :thumbsup

6. Sep 14, 2017
    promiseacres

promiseacres True BYH Addict

Any doubt please geld. Any breeding should have a plan and purpose.

Sourland, maritown, alsea1 and 2 others like this.
  7. Sep 21, 2017
    PamL

Update....... he was gelded this morning!:clap Shew, he gave us a workout!! He fought the tranquilizer and would not lay down, the vet had to give him extra. :ep

8. Sep 21, 2017
    Goat Whisperer

Goat Whisperer Herd Master

9. Sep 21, 2017
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Loving the herd life

I'm certain he left it open to drain. He needs to be walked to help with soreness. Watch to be sure flies are not on the wound, that it is draining, that you hose it off (the ooze can crust over & prevent needed draining). Certain the vet told you all of this :lol: Sometimes we don't pay as much attention when our adorable animals are being treated.

If you see more than a little swelling, hose and if much swelling, CALL THE VET. The donkey may hate you for a few days -- he'll get over it and be a better animal for the alterations.

Keep the updates coming. :caf

PamL and frustratedearthmother like this.
  10. Sep 21, 2017
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

You made a very wise decision. With all the unwanted equines out there that go to slaughter, it is silly to breed animals just to have babies. It is so easy to get donkeys or horses that are unwanted, you can even buy them out of the slaughter pens to keep them off a truck going to Mexico or Canada. You are to be commended for being a responsible donkey owner.

Boyett73, PamL and Goat Whisperer like this.