To geld or not to geld that is the question......

PamL

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks all! I am a huge advocate of spaying and neutering for dogs and cats, I guess I just needed a reality check that it is just as important with farm animals. Melvin is doing pretty good this morning. He is quieter than normal which isn't a bad thing :). Thanks @Mini Horses the vet did not mention about hosing him off. He did tell me that it will drain and to watch for bleeding and flies. The weather here is a little warmer than normal so I am concerned about the flies. I'm looking forward to him settling down and being a good boy. I should get the Jenny's in about a month. I am in a sense rescuing them, the guy is losing his farm and wants them to go to a good home. He is keeping them until he has to move.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you hadn't taken them they would probably have been hauled to auction. There they would sell for as low as $15 to a kill buyer.

PamL

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If you hadn't taken them they would probably have been hauled to auction. There they would sell for as low as $15 to a kill buyer.

So sad!!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep, he will be quiet while healing. You can spray the fly spray onto a cloth and wipe hind quarters, inner legs, belly to keep it from spraying into the wound. And/or use Swat, the fly cream you wipe on, etc.

Wash inner legs, tail, etc. to keep any drainage off...again reduce fly attraction. Just a reminder from way back when...LOL

Give Melvin a hug for me!! You will love the "new" guy.

PamL

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the advise. He is getting back to normal. He is not quite there yet but almost. He has been braying a little more :). I'm so happy I went ahead and had him gelded. I just love him.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd like to mention just one thing that often haunts a donkey -- they are NOT stubborn animals.

They are extremely cautious and will often take a slower approach than a horse with training. So, go slow if any hesitation and he will respond well. Once something is learned, it's there forever. Good or bad. They are quite devoted animals, you earn their trust and you have a friend for life (and they have a long life, generally). :D =D

PamL

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'd like to mention just one thing that often haunts a donkey -- they are NOT stubborn animals.

They are extremely cautious and will often take a slower approach than a horse with training. So, go slow if any hesitation and he will respond well. Once something is learned, it's there forever. Good or bad. They are quite devoted animals, you earn their trust and you have a friend for life (and they have a long life, generally). :D =D

I've been trying to teach him a few things.... Picking up stuff mostly. Any tips on that? He likes to bite me and the farrier told me that it is because I give him treats from my hand. He said put them in his food bowl. I don't know how I am supposed to teach him anything doing that??

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I had a mammoth jack for about eight years. He liked to bite until one day I bit him back right on the nose really hard never tried again. Is he having trouble picking up his feet ? Is that what your having trouble with and want tips on.

PamL

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I had a mammoth jack for about eight years. He liked to bite until one day I bit him back right on the nose really hard never tried again. Is he having trouble picking up his feet ? Is that what your having trouble with and want tips on.

Lol. I might have to give that biting a try! Just teaching him things in general is what I was looking for tips on. He is good about picking up his feet. I've been teaching him tricks like picking up a bucket and his ball. But when I go to leave the barn that is when he bites me. He likes to block us also. We call it donkey block. :lol:

Latest posts