1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. 2019 What's up with my bucks hair? - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

To Mow or Not to Mow - Input needed!

Discussion in 'Feeding Time - Sheep' started by shepherdO, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Sep 27, 2018
    shepherdO

shepherdO Chillin' with the herd

Question re: leaving standing grass in the winter. Should I be mowing what's left of the grass, maybe just before the first snows, or leaving it standing? Ie, if the sheep aren't going to eat the tall yellowed grass, is it better to mow it down when/before the snow comes, so that there's nothing to get in the way of the new growth in the spring? I've never had this much standing 'dead' grass going into winter before, and I want to set my pastures up for success in the spring!
    PS - I've posted pictures of my fields in the thread 'Rate my Fields'

CntryBoy777 likes this.
  2. Sep 27, 2018
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

IMHO, I don't think it will make that big a difference unless you plan to fertilize or in some other way place additives on the pasture, in which case I'd say mow it. I don't know and am just expressing my thoughts. I would guess if you were to mow it, the grass could start decomposition faster to add those nutrients back to the ground... Maybe mow 1/2 and then compare results next year?

mysunwolf and CntryBoy777 like this.
  3. Sep 27, 2018
    CntryBoy777

CntryBoy777 Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Personally, I'd mow it....but, I live in Mississippi and that is quite a bit south of ya. However, if ya leave it the dead and dying plant material will block and absorb much of the warming sunshine come Spring and give your new growth a late start to greening up and growing. Since it is already spent, ya can start breaking the old down to return nutrients back into the soil to aid in the growth come Spring. If this is what ya have for them to graze now....I'd mow most and leave an area or 2 for them to graze until freezing or snow is in your forecast and then cut it before it comes in on ya.....:)

Latestarter likes this.
  4. Sep 27, 2018
    Mike CHS

Mike CHS Herd Master Golden Herd Member

I started to write what I do until I saw you live in Canada and what works for the deep south U.S.A. is probably worthless advice to you. I cut mine but the reason I do is that the taller grass is of a type that our sheep only eat when it is young so all it is doing is shading out the cool season grass that is starting to come now. I do cut it 6-8" high so there isn't a layer of decomposing grass shading it worse than the tall grass.

Latestarter and CntryBoy777 like this.
  5. Sep 29, 2018
    Sheepshape

Sheepshape True BYH Addict

Over here we just cut very high to remove the worst of the dead stuff before using the 'Weed Wiper' to treat reeds, rushes etc.

Probably not critical either way.