To neuter or not?

kyrose

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello,i was given 2-2 week old orphaned baby new zealands.(mom died i think from the heat) They are now 1 month and the vet said they should be out of the danger zone and should be ok.Well after raising these to,i've become attached.They are so cute and affectionate.I think they think im their momma.lol Any way i was planning on making them outside rabbits(i have 2 females in the house)i have a very large fenced in run and plan on building a secure,predator proof hutch against the house so i can hear if theres any problem.So i was wondering since they have been together and will be outside away from the females,should i neuter them,and if so what age is good? Any advice would be appreciated..

Andrei

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
First, are they he or she?
Why you do not want to keep them natural?
I have castrated males before for the reason of keeping more together for 2 more months to fatten up.

Riverside Fainters

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Usually males will not get along after puberty if they are intact. My sister and I left two brothers from the same litter together and around 5-6 months they started to fight. Now getting them neutered I have 2 boys (Zues and Gizmo) together since Zues was 10 wks And Gizmo was 5 wks. They have never fought. You can neuter them at 16 wks I do believe.. As soon as there are testicles there. But when looking, remember they can suck thier testicles back into thier body.

Andrei

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It has to do more with their hormonal development then age.
I have brothers together at 5 months and I have a 3 month Silver Fox that will try to mount anything coming in his cage.
So giant breeds that develop slower are different then small breeds that develop early on.
But it is something one has to pay attention to.

Latest posts