To Roll or not to Roll????

So do I attempt to let it go into the pasture? Or go ahead and put the ring back?

• Let It Roll!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Catch It In the Ring

• You're going to 2nd guess yourself no matter what so .....

• Total voters

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Quick question for anyone who wants to chime in between now (4:15) and 6:30ish when I get home and do one or the other

I've waited as long as I can - the bale in the ring out in the pasture is down to the last bits & pieces. I've got no choice but to un-tarp the bale on the wagon and give it to Eva & Blossom tonight.
Here is a picture of my hay feeder. The front folds down and Hay Guy drops 2 round bales into the wagon - each held in place by a strap. Normally there is 1/2 a round bale ring chained to the trees. So when it's time to add a new bale, I raise the front of the trailer, release the strap and it rolls (with a push or 2) into the feeder.
My neighbor scraped up this winter's waste hay (about 2' deep!) this past Sat. I had HOPED it would dry more ... but we had rain last night. IT IS better than in this pict from Sat...
The front of the trailer will go up almost another foot. There IS a ramp on the back of the trailer that will get it a little farther...

bale roll.jpg

BUT:

Should I attempt to roll it right past the mud and into the pasture so that the feeder area can dry another month-ish?
Or go ahead and put the ring back in place and not risk it getting stuck in exactly the WRONG spot - too far to get a ring around it, too close so that it just gets WORSE waste & mess

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't think you have enough height in the trailer to get it to roll past the mud spot. I would put it where you normally do and @Mini Horses suggestion of a pallet is good to keep it out of the mud. We are due to get more rain this week. Yes, it is going to be muddy for them to stand in.... but better than the roll sit in mud and collect moisture and ruin more of it.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks yall.
I'm always hesitant to use pallets where they'll be wet for a long time - fear of dropping rusty nails.
What I usually do here is to put down 4 old tires around the edges & 2 cinder blocks in the middle. Then a couple of lengths of rubber mat to cover the tires & stop some of the hay from dropping around the tires. Then I drop the ramp & roll the bale. It ends up sitting about 8" off the ground.
20230228_185814.jpg

Cows get a new bale which makes them very happy..... which makes me a happy cow-mom

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hay bale. That’s a pretty heavy decision. Mud, hungry cow, get stuck-not get stuck. Pallet or tires! The tires are a good idea!

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
I set it back up to use the ring attached to the end of the wagon.
layers, layers, layers 😂
tires & cinter blocks on the ground
rubber mats to keep the hay from sagging between
the trailer ramp
hay bale sits on top of all of that
1/2 hay ring chained to the trees on either side of the trailer
allows me store 2 bales in the trailer and roll them into the hay ring when she needs them

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
I set it back up to use the ring attached to the end of the wagon.
layers, layers, layers 😂
tires & cinter blocks on the ground
rubber mats to keep the hay from sagging between
the trailer ramp
hay bale sits on top of all of that
1/2 hay ring chained to the trees on either side of the trailer
allows me store 2 bales in the trailer and roll them into the hay ring when she needs them
Sounds like your usual method works, in spite of the mud. :clap

Latest posts