To shave or not to shave?

Amaggio

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new to goats and am wondering if i should shave my two NDs a little to help them beat the heat. I realize their hair protects from the sun and flies but i live in Missouri and right now the temps are rising above 100 degrees. They shed their under coat this May but i didn't know if they would need the extra help since they are disbudded.

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Did you end up shaving them?

I'm thinking of shaving ours but all we have are human hair clippers. What kind of clippers did you use or were thinking of using?

Amaggio

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I didnt end up shaving them because we suddenly had some nights in the 50s. I was aware that hair insulates them but I know someone in AZ who will shave their goats a little at the peak of their summer because it's just that hot. Not a full shave but a trim. @Genipher I have heard you can use human trimmers on your goats but if you have more than one or two it will over heat. There are pet trimmers that will let you do more and of course special trimmers for fiber goats. If you only have a few minis though you should be good. I know you also have to trim if you show but that's way shorter than I was planning on going.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I live in south texas we get in hundreds+ as well along with humid and down right nasty weather. But i never shaved my goats they did fine just make sure they have plenty of shade and water to drink. And if you want to spoil them watermelon normally a hit along with a fan. But youd be surprised on how well they do with a coat of fur/hair.

Amaggio

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I live in south texas we get in hundreds+ as well along with humid and down right nasty weather. But i never shaved my goats they did fine just make sure they have plenty of shade and water to drink. And if you want to spoil them watermelon normally a hit along with a fan. But youd be surprised on how well they do with a coat of fur/hair.
Do you give salt, not a salt block but pure salt grains? I've heard some do that so their goats drink more. I don't do that at this time but what are your thoughts?

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I didnt end up shaving them because we suddenly had some nights in the 50s. I was aware that hair insulates them but I know someone in AZ who will shave their goats a little at the peak of their summer because it's just that hot. Not a full shave but a trim. @Genipher I have heard you can use human trimmers on your goats but if you have more than one or two it will over heat. There are pet trimmers that will let you do more and of course special trimmers for fiber goats. If you only have a few minis though you should be good. I know you also have to trim if you show but that's way shorter than I was planning on going.
I'm only thinking of shaving them because they currently have lice and I read it can help to keep their fur shorter while dealing with the infestation. We only have 2 does so far.