To vaccinate or not?

D and L Meadows

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hey ya'll. I’m going to research this but wanted to make a quick stop here and get your opinion.
We have vaccinated for CD&T since 2013 when we lost a 8 weeks old kid. Vet did necropsy and said it could’ve been that. I highly doubt that now, but back then we didn’t know. Anyway, we met our neighbor (just down a few streets, been here for 19 years and just saw her today lol) who said she knows someone that was a vet. She said not to vaccinate since to lowers their immune system. Our neighbor said when she stopped, the parasite resistance was higher and she defiantly noticed a difference. Thoughts? Is it really that important to do? Should we stop and just keep the antitoxin on hand?

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know of several people around here that have lost goats to tetanus, it's a very ugly death...
I vaccinate yearly with CD&T, as I would rather fight parasites than have a goat die by my choice not to vaccinate...
Do what you know works for your part of the country ;)....I am confident you will make a informed decision ...

Last edited:

D and L Meadows

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your thoughts!
Good point B&B Happygoats. We‘ll probably keep doing what we've been doing...vaccinating. We don’t have a problem with parasites, but I was just wondering if it actually did affect the immune system.
Have anyone ever used Covextin-8 instead if the regular CD&T?

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your thoughts!
Good point B&B Happygoats. We‘ll probably keep doing what we've been doing...vaccinating. We don’t have a problem with parasites, but I was just wondering if it actually did affect the immune system.
Have anyone ever used Covextin-8 instead if the regular CD&T?
Mine is called Covextin plus. Vet recommended. My goats were also given ivermectin injectable last week which kills certain internal parasites and external.