Todays is day31.... new picture of babies

micah wotring

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The number of kits that are conceived depends on how many ova are released from the doe's ovary, then how many of those are actually fertilized. The vigor of the kits at birth depends on their position and implantation in the doe's uterus for the amount of nutrition each receives which in turn determines how vigorous the new kit is to attach to the doe's nipple and ability to nurse. Those that are lacking in vigor soon expire. So, NOT due to inbreeding. example: the entire Morgan horse breed is based on ONE single stallion... Justin Morgan. Educate yourself by reading a good genetics Collage text book rather than some book written by an author that professes to be an "expert" , or a google search that is full of conflicting "facts", not to mention that you heard it on the grapevine or a text from someone.
Sorry for the confusion and thank you for explaining this.
So, is there something (aside from health of the mother) that will affect the vigor of the young?
I plan on getting a book on genetics soon. Until then people like you on BYH and BYC is all I have...

Thanks

micah wotring

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The number of kits that are conceived depends on how many ova are released from the doe's ovary, then how many of those are actually fertilized. The vigor of the kits at birth depends on their position and implantation in the doe's uterus for the amount of nutrition each receives which in turn determines how vigorous the new kit is to attach to the doe's nipple and ability to nurse. Those that are lacking in vigor soon expire. So, NOT due to inbreeding. example: the entire Morgan horse breed is based on ONE single stallion... Justin Morgan. Educate yourself by reading a good genetics Collage text book rather than some book written by an author that professes to be an "expert" , or a google search that is full of conflicting "facts", not to mention that you heard it on the grapevine or a text from someone.
Also, would inbreeding cause blindness?
This is probably not the thread to discuss this in...I will try to find a book!

Chickens

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ask away im learning too lol through ur questions and my own and i feel like a stalker lurking reading everyones post hoping it will be something useful to me too :clap

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
would inbreeding cause blindness?

No, but breeding two rabbits with a specific gene that causes blindness (like the Max factor) together, regardless of their relationship to each other, makes it pretty likely that at least one of the offspring will inherit the gene from both parents and wind up blind.:idunno

Likewise, breeding two rabbits that are full siblings of the two rabbits referred to in the previous paragraph, but which didn't happen to inherit the Max factor, together, will not result in Max factor blind babies, no matter how many breedings you do nor how closely they may be related.

Chickens

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:weee:weee:weee
:weee:weee:weee the sun is out the sun is out and its supposed to be 70 today and tomorrow .... sorry just had to share lol

micah wotring

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
No, but breeding two rabbits with a specific gene that causes blindness (like the Max factor) together, regardless of their relationship to each other, makes it pretty likely that at least one of the offspring will inherit the gene from both parents and wind up blind.:idunno

Likewise, breeding two rabbits that are full siblings of the two rabbits referred to in the previous paragraph, but which didn't happen to inherit the Max factor, together, will not result in Max factor blind babies, no matter how many breedings you do nor how closely they may be related.
Ah, okay...that makes sense...
Thanks!

:weee:weee:weee
:weee:weee:weee the sun is out the sun is out and its supposed to be 70 today and tomorrow .... sorry just had to share lol
:wootIt's great outside here too!

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just an addition, @Chickens,
Bunny Lady is my go to on most rabbit related and genetics questions, and she is right abt small kids not handling the kits.
I was 10-12 when I had full responsibility of handling mine. It is best not to handle them a lot until they are a week old anyway with eyes beginning to open, etc. other than checking them each day for plump bellies.

Chickens

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you!!
Just an addition, @Chickens,
Bunny Lady is my go to on most rabbit related and genetics questions, and she is right abt small kids not handling the kits.
I was 10-12 when I had full responsibility of handling mine. It is best not to handle them a lot until they are a week old anyway with eyes beginning to open, etc. other than checking them each day for plump bellies.

Chickens

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
20170228_130527.jpg
20170228_130446.jpg
one week old today jessica rabbit is being a very good momma shes a keeper (kinda have to keep her she belongs to the kiddos) lol