tog-boer swap

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So yesterday a fellow and his son came to the house to look at one of my wethers to show for 4H...I explained that he is a very nice animal, probably not a champion but in the top of its class, at the county level anyway.....He/his son loved it....Here is the catch....His son had shown goats before in 4H,dairy goats, and needs to get rid of some of them before he can "afford" to pay for this wether....Naturally I let him take the wether yesterday, in lieu of any money, because...well JUST BECAUSE...this morning his dad emailed me saying that since they didn't have enough money to pay me and since they were going to switch from dairy goats into meat goats that he would like to propose a trade.....Here goes...They have a 2 year old Toggenburg, with papers, dry and open that the boy was going to show. He asks if I would take her in trade for the wether they picked up yesterday???
Dairy goats??? What am I going to do with Dairy Goats??
He claims they bought her in the spring of 09 from a reputable breeder and paid ALOT...and believe me if they paid what he said they paid: IT WAS ALOT... He says it has papers, not sure what the papers say, but he has them....
so I told him I would come over today and look at her...I don't care about the money..I hate to see this little wether go to market instead of seeing the show ring first, I like to see how my "second level" animals place...So I'll probably just take her...put her in a horse stall and try to figure out what to do with her next....
So the trade is a papered, coming on , 2 year old toggenburg doe never kidded for a 4 month old wether....No idea what a replacement doe is even worth....the wether is probably worth $120-150...Not said; I will give her a complete structure look over, as well as, a health check before I agree to anything....
The guy said that they appreciated me letting them take the wether and letting them pay for it later so much that they were going to offer this doe to me... They think it is worth substantially more than the wether.... but its a dairy goat.....unless roll farms wants to work up some sort of trade.....imagine what the kids will look like should I breed it to one of my boer bucks....

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I thought Roll's Togg-Boer cross does were adorable. I know she didn't care for them but I liked them. :D

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Totally and completely ignoring this thread.....LOL

You know how much I just looooove the Toggs we have. (sarcasm).

FWIW, we paid 250$ ea. for 2 bred pb toggs w/ ADGA papers. The breeders were asking 300$ ea. but I got a deal since I bought 2 and they wanted to keep the 2 together.
Those 2 spit out 5 kids between them. It wasn't such a bad deal, I guess.

Maybe if bred to a traditional boer buck, yours will make better lookin' kids.:D

You don't HAVE to milk her, and maybe it'd give you a good foster doe to graft to. Keep in mind they're harder to get to breed off season, though, being Swiss.

Have fun w/ her....:lol:

Latest posts