Tom cat pee smell in the barn

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm just tossing out a 'hail mary' on the off chance anyone has successfully dealt with this.
I have a tom cat that visits my place regularly. I don't mind him being there. I feed him and even provide a heated bed on the porch for him. He's old and appears to have a hard life. I appreciate that his presence seems to help with the mouse population.
BUT... he does what tom cats do... ☹️
I'm starting a big clean-up and organizing of my very messy barn that will include FINALLY getting a door on the feed/tool room.
Has anyone successfully gotten that pee smell out of things like unsealed wood shelves, floors, etc?

I'm not going to 'get rid' of him.
If I'm ever able to organize funds/time/appointment/successful trapping I will get him neutered, but at his age, it will not stop him from peeing on things.

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I do not know what to do about the smell, but we have 5 tom cats raised from babies (chino, juju, mossy, Taurus, and Mona) and use this product to discourage them from spraying further, it works pretty darn well for using ONLY natural ingredients. If you find that it doesn’t work, cats hate the smell of certain herbs and will avoid the smell at all costs (such as lemon thyme and lavender)

Attachments

• 91FCC6AD-9797-4E63-9CB1-56B94F7E632B.jpeg
    91FCC6AD-9797-4E63-9CB1-56B94F7E632B.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 31B6FCF8-61CB-4195-8C88-E0E0884E7495.jpeg
    31B6FCF8-61CB-4195-8C88-E0E0884E7495.jpeg
    232.6 KB · Views: 72

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
I always hate when I read through an old thread and get to the end and there's no resolution - so here's "The Rest Of The Story"

First off - removing all the JUNK and CLUTTER that had been peed on went a long way to making the smell bearable.
In the enclosed feed/tool room though, that was just not enough. This stuff - sprayed all around the walls and on pretty much everything from 24" down did WONDERS.
Once around the room, then again a couple of days later and even my barn-cleaning buddy with the bionic nose didn't notice the tom cat smell.
And it's pleasant smelling enough that I've used it in the cat room in my house when I deep cleaned around the litter boxes (sometimes they miss....)
pet odor.jpg

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not going to 'get rid' of him.
Getting rid of Mr. Tom won't solve the odor problem since the urine soaks into wood etc. to cause the smell.
I was going to suggest a bleach solution, but the Lysol seems better. I'm going to get a can of that Lysol pet odor eliminator just to keep on hand. I wonder if that would work for @farmerjan for her mouse smell in the cabinets.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would bet it would!!
It has a definite "air freshener" smell, but not choking perfumey/flowers. I did around the floor of the whole 10x10 room 2x and still had some left.
My concern was that while moving the junk out, we'd get so covered in the nasty smell that neither of us would want to get into it again. But it REALLY helped. If I picked up something that he had obviously sprayed, it still stunk of course. But the general reek on the room was GONE after a couple of treatments.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
My wild tom cat Havoc

I brought home a kitten from work that had already been named Chaos. Chaos joined an ancient old cat that moved to the property with me named Cougan. Chaos is a unique cat.. much more Dog-like than any cat I've ever met. From tiny kittenhood he has been determined to make friends with Every creature on the farm - chickens, cows, dogs, even spent a LOT of time trying to make friends with the indoor cats through the windows & sliding door.
When Cougan passed I was concerned about him being alone.
Not out-going gregarious Chaos. He brings home a stray.. his new bestie - a beat-up, scared-up, won't let me within 50' of him tom cat. Within a week, Chaos had him sharing his heated kitty hotel on the porch, sharing his food, they were together all the time (unless I came too close and the tom bolted)... so I named Chaos's best friend Havoc. :gig
When logging happened all around me and neighbors started seeing coyotes, bears, and a bobcat on a regular basis, I moved Chaos inside. Havoc stayed around, enjoying the kitty hotel solo. He vanishes for days - sometimes weeks at a time. And I always expect that I've seen the last of him until one morning Chaos will be at the sliding glass door yelling for me to bring his buddy breakfast.
Poor old Havoc.
I WISH I could catch him. He's trap savy.. so someone, sometime must've tried to get him. He'd rather not eat than step 1 toe in my traps.
havoc.jpg

This was take last summer. He's a good bit more beat up now, and a little thinner... and sometimes limps :confused:

Latest posts