Too many mistakes with my Great Pyr?

Lynda V

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm afraid I've made a whole bunch of mistakes with my Great Pyrenees puppy and need some advice about how to fix them (if I can). He came to us at only 7 weeks old (mistake #1). We didn't get our sheep until he was 15-weeks-old (mistake #2). I have played fetch and chasing games with him all this time (mistake #3). I didn't establish my dominance with him very well while he was small (mistake #4). Now I have a very lovable but large puppy who is far too big for me to physically handle when he shows undesirable behavior. He tries to chase the sheep whenever I take him into their pasture. He mouths my arm,bites at my clothing, and jumps up on just about everyone. He is showing traits that I have read indicate that he might not have the correct temperament to be a good LGD like having a huge chase instinct ( he loves to play fetch,which is supposed to be very unusual for a Great Pyrenees) and giving the sheep "let's play" body language. Anyway, I am a discouraged and confused as to what to do. I have never had a dog before, much less a livestock guardian, so I am really a fish out of water. I did sooo much reading before we got him, but the reality is totally different. Is it possible to hit the "reset" button with him and start over doing things better? If so, what should I do ?

Lynda V

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
He's exactly 6 months old today.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Southern by choice will give you some great advice but take heart, my girl was 8 months old before I decided that she would indeed be a good LGD. She had many of those same traits that your does and I didn't make any of those "mistakes". I can't guarantee that he will make an LGD but you didn't break him, and he is young enough to fix if he is fixable.

He is still a puppy and many pups do all of those things you are seeing. My old boy...5 years old...will play fetch if I throw a stick but it isn't a game we play. Don't give up on him.

And welcome to BYH. Hope you stick around and share your farm with us even after your dog problem is solved.

Lynda V

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you for your encouraging words. I really need them! Did you train those bad behaviors out of your girl or did she grow out of them?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
A little of both. I used an ecollar on VIBRATE to get her attention and break her focus on the goats. It seem to work well.As far as the nipping I tried everything and then a young man working for me got tired of it and stuck his thumb in her mouth under her tongue and pressed down. While I don't know if that is considered abusive training it worked and she never nipped at him again. I was at my end and pretty chewed up so I did the same to her and it broke the behavior immediately. She chewed up some goats ears and legs as a pup. But at about 8 months she stopped chasing. At 11 months I got her a puppy and they still play rough. They are 12 and 19 months but entirely livestock safe. Chickens not so much but I haven't worked with them. I would always raise dogs in pairs. Two pups is so much easier. IMO

I have two older dogs that are poultry safe but they were raised with them in their field.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are not the only one with puppy tales. LOL I don't know where you did your LGD studies, there is a lot of good and bad advice floating around. But you have come to the right place. There are several LGD experts here, plus us novices who just have a couple of dogs for their farm. It takes a lot of patience and more patience. You will learn along with your dog. We all had to start somewhere.

What is your dog's name? And what kind of sheep do you have?

Lynda V

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
His name is Colonel Brandon, from Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility. Usually we just call him Colonel. The sheep are Babydoll Southdowns. There are just three of them, and they are my pets. We don't have a real farm,probably not even a hobby farm. Just three acres where I can indulge my long-held desire to be a shepherd. I call my sheep my "boutique" flock. The Great Pyrenees was kind of a last minute addition before we got the sheep after spending the winter listening to the coyotes yip and howl in the fields around our property.

Babsbag, how long did you have to use the ecollar? My husband has been suggesting trying one to break Col.Brandon from chasing the sheep,but I have been reluctant. I thought that when we eventually stopped using it,he would figure it out and just go back to chasing. Those poor lambs can't even give a little joyful jump,as lambs are wont to do,without the Colonel going after them!

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Something that might help the experts (I'm not one of them :) ) is to tell what you have done so far and how did you introduce the sheep to the dog. Has it always been loose with the sheep unsupervised. Those are some of the questions I was asked when I was having my problems. Turned out most of my problems were literally my problem in not understanding what the dog needed to know.