Too many pigeons in the barn

kricklewood

Just born
Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone have any easy way to get rid of pigeons in the barn? We started out with 3 or 4 and now up to about 20. We also have chickens, ducks, pot-bellied pigs along with the goats so have to factor that in.

BTW, we've tried fishing line up in the rafters but that doesn't seem to help.

Thanks!

Dale

kricklewood

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks! Great idea but they are up on ledges that the cats can't get to.

Equusrider

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We had a real problem with pigeons nesting under the eaves of our home and barn and making a big mess/noise/IRRITATION. There is some strips of plastic spikes you can install where they walk and nest that discourages them from walking around or nesting that was marginally effective. But about the most effective thing you can do is a BBGun or trapping\kill the adults and juveniles and knocking down the eggs as they are laid. You cant relocate them or they will just come back. In wet climates or seasons the birds will attract bird mites and it is a fallacy that bird mites wont cross species to other livestock. I KNOW this first hand.

The pigeons will not be the least bit intimidated by the plastic owl. Save your money (or you can use the Owl for target practice with the BB gun.) :)

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Plastic owls are a waste of money. As for plastic spike strips , the birds learn to walk between them. The BB guns are not very effective in killing the pigeon, however they are great in putting hoes in the metal/ plastic roof. I use to go to farms with large barns with pigeon populations. I located the pigeon flight paths to where they would fly to feed. I then would sit next to a fence post or tree about 30-50 yards away and started to shoot the birds with my shotgun as they left the barn or on their return trip. I got pigeons to eat and the farmers got rid of their pigeons. Find a person that loves to hunt, and problems are solved. Win- win.