1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Let's start this week fun. Submit your Horse Humor - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Too many vaccines?

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Goats' started by Pepperjack'smom, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Sep 14, 2018
    animalmom

animalmom Herd Master

Oh, I don't think anyone answered your question on too many shots... my understanding is with CD-T you are safe with more than one application. After all when you start with a new goat, or kid, you have the first shot and then another 4 weeks later... that's two shots. Of course there is the annual booster shot. When you get to the point in your herd where you have pregnant goats you will want to give the doe a CD-T a month before birthing besides her annual shot. I'm not saying you can get away with CD-Ting your guy every month as that would be annoying and a waste of money, but he's probably fine with what he was given.

Finding a good goat vet is challenging. Finding a good goat vet that makes you feel like you are a valued member of the team (as opposed to an uneducated pet owner) is priceless and unfortunately rare. If you find such a vet, count your blessings.

Southern by choice likes this.
  2. Sep 15, 2018
    Donna R. Raybon

Donna R. Raybon Loving the herd life

Hey, I hated needles! Scared to death to give shots! Vet tech friend helped me learn how and to practise. Ok on sub Q and IM , but iffy on venous draw on goats. Used to be pretty good on horses, though.

Helps to have correct sized needles, both gauge and length. I like the screw on 'lock' type better than 'slip ' type syringe/needle.

Pepperjack'smom likes this.
  3. Sep 15, 2018
    greybeard

greybeard Herd Master

Calvary9, BarVac, for cattle has a tet tax. Some others do as well.

Pepperjack'smom likes this.
  4. Sep 16, 2018
    Pepperjack'smom

Pepperjack'smom Overrun with beasties

Thank you!! ;)