Too many vaccines?

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh, I don't think anyone answered your question on too many shots... my understanding is with CD-T you are safe with more than one application. After all when you start with a new goat, or kid, you have the first shot and then another 4 weeks later... that's two shots. Of course there is the annual booster shot. When you get to the point in your herd where you have pregnant goats you will want to give the doe a CD-T a month before birthing besides her annual shot. I'm not saying you can get away with CD-Ting your guy every month as that would be annoying and a waste of money, but he's probably fine with what he was given.

Finding a good goat vet is challenging. Finding a good goat vet that makes you feel like you are a valued member of the team (as opposed to an uneducated pet owner) is priceless and unfortunately rare. If you find such a vet, count your blessings.

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hey, I hated needles! Scared to death to give shots! Vet tech friend helped me learn how and to practise. Ok on sub Q and IM , but iffy on venous draw on goats. Used to be pretty good on horses, though.

Helps to have correct sized needles, both gauge and length. I like the screw on 'lock' type better than 'slip ' type syringe/needle.

Pepperjack'smom

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Don't give up on giving injections yourself, and don't beat yourself up if the goat gets a lump at the injection site. Sometime you get a bump and sometimes you don't. It does seem that rubbing helps lessen the chance of a bump... but not always.

Hang in there. I think you have the makings of an outstanding goatie mom.

Thank you!! ;)