too much veggies?

dcullon

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My husband works at a school where they have cooking class. He had been bringing clean veggies from salads and some fruit in 5 gallon buckets daily. I have three ewes and 5 goats and 13 chickens. Is it ok to give them that much veggies everyday?
They seem ok with it. They only eat what they like out of it. I just don't know if it too much for them to handle, we all know they will over eat :)
Debbie

warthog

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I think they should be fine, just start them slowly and increase, but watch the poo's.

savingdogs

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I wish my hubby was bringing home something like that for my goats, ducks and chickens! Especially in winter when there is so much less forage, I think it sounds like a great idea. I would just make sure they have plenty of their regular diet too and consider all that a treat, not their base of their diet.

Calliopia

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I get fruit veggies greens and more from a local restaurant and a grocery and my guys can go through 2 banana boxes of stuff a day. I have 4 Nubians and 15 chickens.

I worked them up to that amount but they get a LOT of fresh fruit and veg.

dcullon

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yeah thanks, I figured it was ok. They are used to eating it now. I try to give a little at a time. One of Nigerians inhaled the broccoli tops, he loved them the most. What the animals don't like the chickens will eat up. I just had to make sure they knew no meat or oils and dressings, just plain fruit and veggies.

Calliopia

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I do the same thing and feed the left overs to the chickens. The goat veggie trough is filled first. Then the next day I scoop out the old veggies, give those to the chickens and refill the goats.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
That is wonderful! I have to get off my butt and get over to the new restaurant in town....right now it is gleaned pumpkins, pumpkins, and more pumpkins!

Calliopia

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It is the way I got a 10yr old dairy goat that had been kicked in the head by a horse through the winter last year.

Buckets of grocery store reject strawberries, grapes, raspberries, cabbage. Anything she didn't really have to chew was a life saver.

Greendecember

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Calliopia said:
It is the way I got a 10yr old dairy goat that had been kicked in the head by a horse through the winter last year.

Buckets of grocery store reject strawberries, grapes, raspberries, cabbage. Anything she didn't really have to chew was a life saver.
Poor goat :( I hope they are doing better now.

I like the idea of feeding the goats then giving the leftovers to the chickens. We have chickens and Guineas also They go through a LOT of game bird starter a day. (11 pullets and 23 Guineas)

I see a trip to the grocery stores back door in my future:cool: LOL

Calliopia

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
She's doing much better now. Made it through the winter and put some weight back on. Now she's due in about oh 10 minutes - 3 weeks.