Took spot to the butcher

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I had an 20 month old sim/angus/holstien/Hereford cross that I cut took to the butcher two weeks ago. He weighed 1000lbs the weekend before Xmas. He weighed 1220 when he went in. My bil bottle feeds them and I buy them weaned. Sold half that paid for most of the feed. Put other half in freezer. Got 350lbs of meat. Some of it was hot dogs jerky and beef sticks about 50lbs worth. Bill at butcher was 380. So I have beef in the freezer for my time and about a 1.10 a pound

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is nothing like your own home grown meat. If you don’t mind me asking, what did get per pound for the half you sold? Last half of beef we bought was $5 per pound. It was grass fed Brangus. Steaks were tough, meat was ok, not great, just ok. We bought it from a friend. The last of it is in the crock pot, time to go side of beef hunting again, but it won’t be Brangus grass fed. LOL

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I sell live weight. It is easier for me and the guy who buys it has to pay his butchering. I charge 1.90 a lb live weight. So he has just shy of 1200 in his half plus butchering say 350. That's around 1550 for his half so 4.40 a lb and this is really great meat

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Grass fed is great...... IF ........the animal is gaining well on the grass and it is butchered during that gaining. There is an art to grass finished beef. They should be gaining 2+ lbs per day in order for the animal to be able to put on the right amount of "finish". Due to the "brahma" in the brangus, it is harder to get as good a gain on just grass. They are good tough animals, take the heat well, but will not be as tender as a brangus that is grain finished. I mostly have grass fed.... but I do feed some grain the last 6-8 weeks just to put a little more finish on the animal in the form of fat. I am talking about about 5 lbs grain a day.... not pouring it to them. Just what the animal can clean up in 5-10 minutes.
Suggestion would to be if you could find a jersey or guernsey (yellower fat) or even holstein crossed with an angus that gets some grain in the last 2 months. Grass fed then some added grain finish. Jersey crosses will be more tender at an older age....normally.

Other than that, see if there is anyone that has some Galloways (belted like oreos or just black) as they have a double hair coat and do not put as much back fat on. I doubt there are any scottish highlands down south, they are also a double hair breed so not alot of backfat (that is trimmed off). Anything should be no more than 30 months at killing and you HAVE to ask that it get hung for a minimum of 14 days but I prefer 21 (3 weeks). The connective tissue breaks down as the hormones are what make the connective tissue tight and that makes the meat tougher. That is why they hang deer as long as possible. It is called aging......
If an animal doesn't have enough marbling, it will be tougher. Angus, hereford and a few other breeds will mature faster, so then will marble better.
Also look out for some of the lesser known breeds. Don't get any brown swiss cross, they take longer to mature, slower to marble, and can be tougher. The big thing is the age of the animal when killed, then what it got fed the last 2 months, then the aging time. There are more cla's in grass fed, but if the meat is tough and you have to "overcook it" (slow cooking) alot of that benefit is lost.
Simmentals are a slower maturing breed too.

We used to get 1.25 to 2.00 lb live, according to the current market prices. It usually averaged out to about $4-6.00 lb with the costs of the butchering.

There are quite a few up here that are looking at the wagyu crossed with angus..... but again, it is in the feeding also.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I see Galloways once in awhile and there is a breeder of Scottish Highlands in Tyler. Those are specialty breeds around here and the price is higher. I can get Jersey bottle bull calves for $20 - $50. My ex husbands family always had cattle and we would get a side of beef that was fed out on grains. It was good meat. I've been halfway tempted to get a calf from a neighbor. He has a Hereford bull and 10 cows, one is a Jersey. So the half Jersey/Hereford calf might be a good idea...….

There are a lot of cattle ranches around here that direct market their beef. One producer opened a restaurant and meat market in Lindale. Best hamburger ever!

@Simpleterrier That is a good price for good beef. You can post some pictures...…. steaks? :drool

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have a waygo Holstein cross in the barn now that will go to butcher next march. He will get kicked out of the barn in May and fed a pellet cracked corn mix while out on pasture untill fall and then back in the barn till March then off to the butcher. He should be a 2lb gain aday. I would like to get my hands on a Hereford jersey cross. Anything Hereford has been calmer then Angus and this waygo is a little nuts. Good thing the Airedale likes to protect and listens well.

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
IMG_20200124_164544557.jpg
this is spot from January 24