topic for low temperatures in goats

poorboys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would like a topic to be started with facts, reason's and answers, and how you take care of a goat with low temps, I know how to treat new-borns with the magic drink and vit shots. But I would like to know how all of you take care of a goat who normally is a healthy animal from let say 7 months and older. What would be the causes of low temps and how do you treat.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I would assume they'd spiked a fever then went low, and would probably treat w/ antibiotics (assuming it's something like Pneumonia) and make sure I keep that Rumen going w/ B shots, probios, and tempting treats / hay.

BUT - I honestly have only ever had 2 low temp goats, a fever has been more common in my experience...

Would be interested to hear other's thoughts as well. :)

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have had two goats with a low temp. One was a doe that had kidded in the last 36 hours. Her temp drop was due to hypocalcemia. She was completly down and not with us at all. We took her to the vet and they did a calcium IV and she recovered fully within an hour or less.

The 2nd one was not sick that we know of, but she went off her feed and her rumen shut down. We gave her banamine and beer. She was grinding her teeth. After a few hours she stated to show some interest in food and we started her on a 5 day course of antibiotics. Even though I never saw her sick, she could have spiked a fever, can't say for sure. The beer will repopulate the flora in the rumen; it has to be a very dark beer. We like to use them room temperature and flat. We pour them back and forth between two glasses to get the bubbles out. Goats don't seem to mind it too much.

Obaisshah

Just born
Reaction score
poorboys said:
I would like a topic to be started with facts, reason's and answers, and how you take care of a goat with low temps, I know how to treat new-borns with the magic drink and vit shots. But I would like to know how all of you take care of a goat who normally is a healthy animal from let say 7 months and older. What would be the causes of low temps and how do you treat.
A goat's body temperature lower than 100 is dangerously low. It needs to be above 100 for their body to function correctly. The normal temperature of a goat is 101.5-103.5F. If a goat's temperature is below 100, the first thing you need to do is get the goat temperature up to at least 100. A common home remedy is believed to be 5 cc of strong black coffee mixed with 1 tablespoon of molasses or Karo syrup given orally. However, visiting a veterinary is essential to avoid any kind of complications. Feeding your goats with Surefed's feeds and supplements is highly recommended.

Pixie Dust

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
babsbag said:
I have had two goats with a low temp. One was a doe that had kidded in the last 36 hours. Her temp drop was due to hypocalcemia. She was completly down and not with us at all. We took her to the vet and they did a calcium IV and she recovered fully within an hour or less.

The 2nd one was not sick that we know of, but she went off her feed and her rumen shut down. We gave her banamine and beer. She was grinding her teeth. After a few hours she stated to show some interest in food and we started her on a 5 day course of antibiotics. Even though I never saw her sick, she could have spiked a fever, can't say for sure. The beer will repopulate the flora in the rumen; it has to be a very dark beer. We like to use them room temperature and flat. We pour them back and forth between two glasses to get the bubbles out. Goats don't seem to mind it too much.
Hi,

What type of antibiotics did you use and do you remember the dosage? thanks :)

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
It would have been Duramycin and the dosage I use is 3-4 cc per 100 lb. I use 3.5 for a goat the weighs about 130 lbs.

mjgh06

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Goats of any age with a low temperature needs immediate medical attention to get their temperature back up. Causes can be just about anything - even as simple as stress. I never recommend the use of antibiotics unless their is a fever present or a known bacteria infection. Overuse of antibiotics causes resistance making them less effective when actually needed. For no other symptoms this is what I do, but most often there are other symptoms that need to be treated:

For baby goats to about 40lbs or whatever weight you can pick up comfortably, bring the goat in the house and place the goat in a plastic garbage bag with its head outside the bag. Have your tub or sink filled with very warm water - not tepid and not scalding. Place the goat in bag into the tub for at least 15 minutes maintaining the water temperature by replacing with more warm water usually every 5 minutes. After the warm bath, take the goats temp. If it is still low, repeat. take temp again. It should be improved by this time. Keep the goat inside and place in a warm, draft free area. Surround the goat with blankets and a covered heating pad. Watch goat and take temp hourly to make sure temp doesn't fall again. If goat goes 24hrs without a temp drop, then the goat can go back to the herd.

For bigger goats or goats to heavy to get in a tub, bring inside and use a blow drier on hot setting about 8 inches away from goat and continuously blow the warm air over the goat for 15 minutes. Then wrap a heating pad in a cloth and place around goat with towels or blanket covering goat. Watch goat and take temp hourly to make sure temp doesn't fall again. If goat goes 24hrs without a temp drop, then the goat can go back to the herd.

I'd go into treatments for other things but we're just discussing low temps. However, a goat with a low temp will need probios at the very least to get their rumen functioning normally again.

For antibiotic treatments and dosage you can review http://www.elwoodranch.com/med/goat-antibiotics/

Annas Omer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My goat has white fluid coming out of his nose and eyes and body temperature gone low, with lose motions. What could be the disease he is having and what could be the best way to get his temp up again? I love this goat and totally want to do everything I can

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
3x the dosage of probiotics or use active culture yogurt. You want to get some good gut flora going to prevent the rumen from shutting down. Offer hay to eat and that's it...the goat needs long stemmed foodstuff (hay) in order to keep the rumen going.

Get a heating pad or hot water bottle and wrap a towel around it and place between the back legs. This placement is the best for raising body temperature.

A warm water enema can be helpful in raising body temperature as can warm I.V.s or SQ fluids. Use the IV or SQ fluids if the goat isn't drinking much. The body must be well hydrated in order to hold onto and maintain temperature.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
My goat has white fluid coming out of his nose and eyes and body temperature gone low, with lose motions. What could be the disease he is having and what could be the best way to get his temp up again? I love this goat and totally want to do everything I can

@Annas Omer - It's been a few weeks, did your goat recover?