Torn off hoof

COWGUY1123

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ok so 2 days ago I got home from school and I went to go check on my cows and see if they needed water so I start walking over to the cattle fence panels I had been using in my backyard to let my other fields grow and I found my ten month old heifer (who looked dead at the time) with her head stuck in one of the gates. She took injury to her left eye(which she still can't close but can roll her eyeball back) and front right "hoof"". For the first day she couldn't barely walk, just stumble around and fall. Now today she is able to walk straightly but still has the swollen eye and the "hoof" break. She is eating hay and some grain and drinking water fine but I was wondering what to do about the hoof thing? Cuold it get infected? Should I spray some Blu Kote on it or just leave it? Is there anything that I can do about the eye? As you can see in the pictures she still has the hoof piece connected to her. Should I take it off. Oh and I moved them into my backyard so that I can check on her frequently.
DSC02049.JPG
DSC02048.JPG
DSC02047.JPG
DSC02046.JPG
DSC02045.JPG
DSC02044.JPG
DSC02043.JPG

COWGUY1123

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ok thanks. Ill call the vet tomorrow.:thumbsup

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The hoof will heal on it's own. Dehorn her and have the vet give her the appropriate shots for your area of the country. Be SURE to dehorn her. No matter how gentle an animal as large and powerful as she is, the horns are dangerous.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
She's a pretty girl and good you took photos of the hoof before Blue Kote.....grew up on a cattle ranch, and now have sheep....I tend to Blue Kote probably way too much.....but not eyes! Glad you are getting a vet on this....and yes to the tetanus shot!

mikiz

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Looking at her hoof, I assume it's akin to us ripping off the whole fingernail at the bed, ouch.
Hope she recovers quickly for you