Tossing head?

Countrymom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
michickenwrangler said:
You may want to try switch bits, maybe try a three-piece bit like a Dr. Bristol or French-link mouthpiece.

Also, try riding her in a hackmore.

If she doesn't like trotting counter-clockwise (after you rule out physical factors) you should probably work on bending and circles more in that direction than the other. Horses, like people, can be left or right handed. My horse doesn't bend as well going left as she does right.
Have to agree with trying the Dr. Bristol or French Link. Probably the first would be better if you are working in a twisted wire. Some horses simply do not like a bit that works on bar pressure and the Dr. Bristol and French link work on tongue pressure.

Also remember that horses are left or right sided just like us humans are right and left handed. Some are easier to get into a certain lead verses the other side. It is a more complicated movement for them. If this horse is not a finished aged horse you could be simply fighting a horse that needs to learn.

Check the teeth first and foremost. Has this horse been checked for wolf teeth?

Pardenx3

Just born
Reaction score
I would have to say it would be in the mouth. Could be the wrong bit, tounge getting OVER the bit, wolf teeth, or simply maybe needing some more ground training. But I more believe it has to do with the bit. Something sounds like it is uncomfortable.

WesternChick

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
well.. I discovered that she has a small crack on her left foot ( if she were going counter clockwise it would be the inside one) mayb e that is bothering her....?? I will have the farrier look at it and if he says that it shouldn't be probalem then i will consider changing bits.

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Try roundpenning her, or longeing her (in a halter, not bridle).

If she still does it then, or does anything funky-lookin' or repeatedly resistant, I'd suggest getting a good lameness vet. If she doesn't, then chances are very high it is either a mouth issue, a saddle-fit issue, or a rider-error issue.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

WesternChick

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
well the farrier came and trimmed her hooves and I rode her on some nice soft sand and she did great!!! tommorrow when her feet are more sound I will take her where i normally ride and see what happens.

Latest posts