Touch me not to milking goat

SonRise Acres

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have a Nigerian that I believe is pregnant. She’s my best mama goat we have. She literally takes a nap, stands up and makes 2-3 quiet cries, delivers her babies, nurses them, and never bats an eye. She always has strong healthy babies.

BUT she doesn’t like us to touch her (pregnant or not). We got her a few years ago from a very hands off owner. I would like to milk her when it’s time. We have a milking stand. She will come to feed. She will let me gently pat her if the choice is patting with feed or no feed and no patting. Any chance I can turn her into a successful milk goat? Quantity is there.

If so, steps to making it happen.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Will she eat out of a bucket or bowl that you are holding? We have sheep but I have been able to tame our wildest ewes by letting them eat out of something I'm holding. It took a whole lot of times before I felt she was trusting enough to let me get hands on and she will never be 'tame' but she doesn't back off when I'm near her.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I will suggest this -- it has worked with mini horses and will apply to goats. I have 2 does that are similar to what you describe of yours and I need to work with them, as you will yours.

When the animals have not been handled a lot, they are very apprehensive of you. It is always a longer re-train with an older animal. So I have put them into their stalls, gave feed, and began talking, approaching, petting. At first 2X or more a day. At first you won' t get much beyond the neck & shoulders. As they calm to this, extend your reach. It will take a while, start ASAP. The smaller area limits their ability to run, move away and if you are calm and slow they will respond at some point.

There was one who was about 2 & half wild but, learned I was not going to hurt him. This one I actually had to halter and hold for about a month to just pet his neck. Eventually he was agreeable to my haltering & un haltering, lifting legs and working hooves. Never was friendly to everyone but, would come to ME and accept handling.

Once the doe will let you handle, lead her, feel her all over, you can go with the milk stand and so on...expect resistance but, eventually it will work. I've had a couple does who were fine to handle but not happy with actual milking. Of course the feed bucket helped and holding a leg helped. Since they were tame, the milking was just acceptance of it. Only took a week or so for them to begin to come thru the gate when it was their turn and RUN to the milk stand.

Hope we are both lucky to convince these girls to cooperate.
One of mine is fine with leading and petting, just not ready for feeling tummy and beyond but, I'm half there with her :D Other one -- if she doesn't come around, she'll be sold as a "cull". Just can't keep but so many. Plus, not sure if #2 is bred.

SonRise Acres

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I will suggest this -- it has worked with mini horses and will apply to goats. I have 2 does that are similar to what you describe of yours and I need to work with them, as you will yours.

When the animals have not been handled a lot, they are very apprehensive of you. It is always a longer re-train with an older animal. So I have put them into their stalls, gave feed, and began talking, approaching, petting. At first 2X or more a day. At first you won' t get much beyond the neck & shoulders. As they calm to this, extend your reach. It will take a while, start ASAP. The smaller area limits their ability to run, move away and if you are calm and slow they will respond at some point.

There was one who was about 2 & half wild but, learned I was not going to hurt him. This one I actually had to halter and hold for about a month to just pet his neck. Eventually he was agreeable to my haltering & un haltering, lifting legs and working hooves. Never was friendly to everyone but, would come to ME and accept handling.

Once the doe will let you handle, lead her, feel her all over, you can go with the milk stand and so on...expect resistance but, eventually it will work. I've had a couple does who were fine to handle but not happy with actual milking. Of course the feed bucket helped and holding a leg helped. Since they were tame, the milking was just acceptance of it. Only took a week or so for them to begin to come thru the gate when it was their turn and RUN to the milk stand.

Hope we are both lucky to convince these girls to cooperate.
One of mine is fine with leading and petting, just not ready for feeling tummy and beyond but, I'm half there with her :D Other one -- if she doesn't come around, she'll be sold as a "cull". Just can't keep but so many. Plus, not sure if #2 is bred.

I am going to work this.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can often times have standoffish goats that will come up to be milked. Once a routine is established, they’ll come up to be milked. How many goats do you have? Will you have several in milk? Once she realizes that good things come from being brought up to milk, she may just do it willingly. I know several folks that have had very skittish Nigerians but have no problem milking them.

Everyone that posted gave you some really good info! :thumbsup

We have one very hateful Nigerian. She is NOT a joy to work with. She’s a brat. Hates to be touched. She was sam raised and not handled by the breeder. If you go to deworm her, she’ll bite. Just a total brat. But I can still grab her collar, but not everyone can. When we pulled and bottle fed her kids, she turned into a completely different animal. She looked at me as her kid and was the most enjoyable goat. Sometimes I’d let her out of the pasture and she’d just hand out. Really nice doe.
After she was dried up she was still a bit of a brat. When she raised her own kids she was horrid- wouldn’t let us milk her. We learned not do that again!

Since she is such a good momma, I doubt you are wanting to bottle feed. If you are able, try to be there at kidding and let her “clean” you also. Might help her bond.

@Mini Horses gave you some really good info! We’ve done something similar with goats that were nearly feral. It helps immensely!