Towing

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hope this is the right spot to ask ?
We have a big truck and trailer, but the trailer is over kill for the 2-3 sheep we will be taking to shows through out the summer. So we have been thinking of just getting a lighter trailer for my suv to pull to save some gas money instead of using the truck. Can anyone recommend any lighter trailers? My tow hitch for my Durango is about 3500lbs would that work for a small trailer and just a couple sheep? I really don't want to have to use the big livestock trailer and truck for so few animals. Tips? Advice?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you considered putting a carrier in the bed of the truck?

shopping

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You could also get a lightweight basic utility trailer and buy the same "slide in" like above to put on the trailer. That way you can use as a utility trailer or to transport the few sheep.

images

View attachment 55595
We have a utility trailer, I like this idea!! Thanks for posting. Do you know where I can get that type of "slide in"

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
A few companies make them. One is called a goat tote I think. We found a homemade used one. For $150....it's heavy but works well.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
If you have a welding shop nearby, I'm sure they could build you one if you bring them the utility trailer and show them a pic of what you want done. That way it will be exactly to your specs. Hell, you could have them weld/mount lawnmower wheels/wheel barrow wheels at all 4 corners and just roll it on/off the trailer.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have one that we put in the back of the truck and anchor it down ratchet straps. works like a charm. friend of mine that's a welder made it out of a metal frame and a 2x4 horse panel. its a little on the heavy side but I tilt it up one its end and back the truck up to it, tilt it forward and lift and slide it into the truck bed. I've had the thing for at least 15 years and tho its a little rusty in spots its as strong as ever. I've found over the years that the goats tend to move up behind the cab out of the wind and lay down whereas the sheep usually stand up the whole way. if I know the weather will be good and its not cold I don't cover it but if its going to be a long trip or if the weather is iffy I will cover the front, top and both sides with a tarp leaving the back open for air circulation. just make sure you get a strong tarp because the wind will shred a cheap one. I also put down hay for bedding. that's worked for me for years.

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I actually wanted to get someone to weld me a custom made goat cage to utilize every bit of my truck bed but it was going to be outrageous so I bought one from TSC from Tarter Gate Company called a Goat Tote. I have had this one for years and it has served me well. I have had numerous issues with tarps being ripped to shreds during transport. I am thinking of making a plywood box that slides over the cage on all sides leaving the end nearest the tailgate open. No more unruly tarps and no annoying flapping noises the whole trip. I will post a pic if I ever get around to building this.