Toxic or not?

Oliver's herd

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I see conflicting information online about honeysuckle for goats and sheep. Some say it's dangerous, others not. Any info on this? I did leaf snap and this plant came up as Tatarian Honeysuckle. Note... this honeysuckle doesn't seem to have that strong smell like other honeysuckles around our area. It is growing up near the fence. The goats and sheep are trying to eat it. I'd like to leave it for shade and treats but want to make sure they are safe.

Attachments

• 20230517_130549.jpg
    20230517_130549.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 62

The Chick Addict

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Can you send pics of the honeysuckle? It will help me get a better idea.
I see conflicting information online about honeysuckle for goats and sheep. Some say it's dangerous, others not. Any info on this? I did leaf snap and this plant came up as Tatarian Honeysuckle. Note... this honeysuckle doesn't seem to have that strong smell like other honeysuckles around our area. It is growing up near the fence. The goats and sheep are trying to eat it. I'd like to leave it for shade and treats but want to make sure they are safe.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
You were right about conflicting information. Yikes. My personal experience with honeysuckle was my hair sheep ate it readily with no side effects or illness. I live in Texas and have no idea what variety they were eating. Probably Japanese and something else with reddish blooms. Sorry I can’t be more help other than to say usually toxic plants taste bad. It’s one bite and quit.

The Chick Addict

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh okay, thank you, my computer didn't load the original photo! Some would say that there are honeysuckle plants with some degree of toxicity or risk factor for goats.

The important thing is to identify the particular species you have, and be sure of its toxicity.

The safest choice would be to leave it entirely.
Honeysuckle includes a great many different species, and some can in the long term do liver damage.

Whatever you do, don’t let them eat a lot of honeysuckle.

I would say that the kind of honeysuckle you have may be safe for you goats and sheep to eat in a small amount.

Latest posts