Tractor Supply chicken feed & egg production?

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Has anyone seen anything about T.S. feed causing chickens to stop laying? I don't watch the news at all.. ever, so if this has been a thing, I'm just hearing about it. A friend texted me with a big scary warning. When I asked for more info I got nothing back. I did a google search and it seems like propaganda to spur on the whole egg shortage, bird flu thing.
I figure there are A LOT of factors that go into properly feeding a laying flock so it's hard for me to believe adding something to the pellet manufacture can stop them laying.

BrahmerQueen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Has anyone seen anything about T.S. feed causing chickens to stop laying? I don't watch the news at all.. ever, so if this has been a thing, I'm just hearing about it. A friend texted me with a big scary warning. When I asked for more info I got nothing back. I did a google search and it seems like propaganda to spur on the whole egg shortage, bird flu thing.
I figure there are A LOT of factors that go into properly feeding a laying flock so it's hard for me to believe adding something to the pellet manufacture can stop them laying.
I saw that it's all government propaganda😂

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, I feed Tractors supply pellets to my hens. Last year I decided to try switching to Purina to see if there was any difference. My chickens were pecking at each other. There was no difference between Purina Layena Omega and the Tractor Supply DuMor Layer Pellets. No difference in behavior or laying.
As for the the current scandal I think it's hype (at least at this point in time). Think about it - why does this suddenly become an issue about hens laying less at this time of year - when typically hens "go on strike" and don't lay? WHY don't they lay or lay as much now??? Simple answer - DAYLIGHT.
For what it's worth - I just got my first egg of the year this morning - earlier this year than before and I'm feeding the TSC DuMor pellets. Green egg from one of the Araucana chickens.
~if I think there is a difference later I'll switch to another brand - for now - I'm happy and so are the chickens.
EDIT --- make that two eggs today - both green.

Last edited:

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don’t watch any news either. I am always the last to know about anything. I guess I will go Google about this “scandal”.

For the record, I feed Producer’s Pride mini layer pellets. Which I think is another TSC brand? I was told by an employee that it’s the “bare bones” diet, whereas the Dumor has extra additives for healthier chickens and better eggs. Pfft! Since they hiked their prices sky high, I am only willing to buy the cheapest. I rely on them free ranging to make their diet varied and superior.

In fact, for a while I had abandoned TSC to drive 40 minutes to the closest rural king, because their layer pellets were so much cheaper, that the savings on 15 bags more than paid for my gas and time.

Then 2 things brought me back to TSC. 1) Folks on FB were discussing how some stores had a much lower price on the PP mini pellets, and you can get your local store to price match them. And 2) RK upped the price on their layer pellets, so now it’s a wash which place to go to. No point driving.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah.. I figured it was just drama-drama
When my friend texted, my first thought was 'Who's chickens are laying in January anyway????' I've always tried to supplement my ladies' diet with kitchen scraps - you know.. all those salad fixins that I buy and leave to become sad & wilted in the veggi graveyard drawers.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Daylight is the key. Even the overcast a couple days in a row will stop those that are laying some this time of year. I don't add lights to mine. They need a rest, too. Plus -- as to feed -- mine freeload 🤣 and free range. Things that are missed, dropped from mouths, etc,...from goats or minis....chickens claim. Kitchen scraps, garden saves like squash or pumpkin. Yep, chickens get. They LOVE cat food 😟. They also get BOSS, catch bugs. Well fed birds. 😁. The Dumor pellets are part of their diet.

And talk about prices....BOSS 😱 $30 for 40#. Double 2022.

BrahmerQueen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, I feed Tractors supply pellets to my hens. Last year I decided to try switching to Purina to see if there was any difference. My chickens were pecking at each other. There was no difference between Purina Layena Omega and the Tractor Supply DuMor Layer Pellets. No difference in behavior or laying.
As for the the current scandal I think it's hype (at least at this point in time). Think about it - why does this suddenly become an issue about hens laying less at this time of year - when typically hens "go on strike" and don't lay? WHY don't they lay or lay as much now??? Simple answer - DAYLIGHT.
For what it's worth - I just got my first egg of the year this morning - earlier this year than before and I'm feeding the TSC DuMor pellets. Green egg from one of the Araucana chickens.
~if I think there is a difference later I'll switch to another brand - for now - I'm happy and so are the chickens.
EDIT --- make that two eggs today - both green.
My chickens always refuse to eat the layena lol!

Latest posts