Trailer loading tips

Alicia

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello all, it's been a while. I have a 7 year old mare that is having an issue with loading. I will admit I did force her once and now I need to correct that. She had no problems before that.
Looking for tips and advice...
Start from scratch and earn trust again? I need to know what to do to correct my mistake.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Back the trailer into a corral, place her feed and water in it where she can just reach it. Each day, move it in a little further. Pet and praise her when you feed her. Walk away and let her figure out the trailer monster is not going to eat her.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you know anyone who has a trailer of a different type you could borrow for awhile? Stock trailer instead of 2-horse; ramp instead of step-up; slant load instead of straight load... don't know what kind of trailer you have.

Also, work on leading. The more you can lead her over, under and through all kinds of different things, with her slow and calm, the better. Get creative. Step over logs and wood, through puddles (yes you'll get wet too), under things hung on tree branches, through two 55 gallon barrels anywhere from 10 to 4 feet apart (start with them wide, move them closer each time). Go *very slow* with all of it, you don't want to overface her, you want her to learn to trust you no matter what you're leading her past/over/under.

Don't think every trailer loading training session has to end up with her in the trailer. She doesn't know what your end goal is each session. It's ok to have your first session's goal be something like 'stand 10 feet away from the trailer, with your head toward it, and be calm'. Then your next training session can be 8 feet away, or 5 feet. Or head in the trailer. I like a lot of John Lyons' stuff, especially the emphasis on consistency and basic training, and his 3 rules for anything: It must be safe for you, safe for the horse, and the horse must be calmer afterward than before.

@Baymule 's suggestion is also a good one if you have a setup that allows you to do it.

Care to share the circumstances of what was going on when you forced her to load, and what happened?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I may be the odd one out here... I never "ask" a horse to get in the trailer - I "EXPECT" it to. Parking the trailer in the field and feeding in it will help the horse to be comfortable with the trailer. For a lot of horses that's enough. But, not all of 'em...

Leading is a definite key. The horse has to lead wherever you want to take it - whether into a barn, out of a stall, away from the house and into the trailer.
Do I 'force' a horse in the trailer. Nope, it's impossible. Horse is bigger and stronger - but I'm more stubborn. I make going into the trailer a really good idea, lol. If I lead a horse towards the trailer and they lead beside me with no hesitation - that's great! If the horse hesitates or starts to go backwards - we go backwards. We go backwards until that horse doesn't want to go backwards any more and then we go a little further. We stop, we have a little conversation, we get all friendly with each other again...and then we go back towards the trailer. Any hesitation, any pulling back - we go backwards again. The point is to make going towards the trailer a good thing. You don't have to go all the way the first time. Walk toward the trailer and YOU pick the spot to stop. Stop, relax, rub, scratch make it a pleasant experience. But, when you ask that horse to go forward - they need to go forward.

There are times when you use a stronger suggestion than going backwards. Two people with a rope they can run behind the horses butt can sometimes encourage a horse to go forward. But again, if the horse goes backwards - you run backwards with him as far and as fast as you can. I don't advocate hitting the horse or any attempts to literally drag the horse in the trailer. I've seen lots of people and horses get hurt in those situations.

I have trained probably a dozen problem horses this way. I was the one that people would call about hard to load horses. This method works because the horse will realize that he's punishing himself.

And, when the horse goes in - what do you do? You let him relax a few minutes. Give him some water, give him a treat and let him rest. Then get him out and do it again.

For a horse that will only lead with bribes what are you gonna do when you have to move that horse and move it fast? We had to evacuate for a hurricane and if my horses wouldn't get in the trailer - they were gonna get left behind. What if you're riding somewhere and your horse steps on a nail and you have to get it to the vet. If the horse doesn't really 'want' to get in that trailer because it's not feeling good - it's just not gonna do it. Asking a horse just doesn't work - the horse has to be trained and reliable about loading.

Do lots of work around the trailer. Tie the horse to the trailer and groom it. Do everything you can do to make the trailer a good experience - but it can't only be about going in for feed. If you ask that horse to get in the trailer and it doesn't happen - you've lost again - and it will be harder the next time.

Keep in mind that this method is for the "absolute die hard not gonna load no matter what you do" kinda horse. Others may never need anything more than "hup" and a threat, lol.

Good luck! And, don't hesitate to call a trainer if your horse is dangerous and panics enough to hurt himself or someone else.

Alicia

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you all! I have started to work her with getting her head in first. I will start the leading exercises asap.
She is comfortable walking right to the trailer and putting her head in, it's taking that step in that we are having a problem with. I do understand that's it's my fault for breaking a trust and I have to take things slow.
We were out on a trail and I needed to get her home....pulley type of system. I'm sad that I did that, but I had to get her home. She did not get hurt, just scared.

Alicia

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Update... She is very comfortable walking g up to trailer and getting head inside with front legs touching trailer.
It's the step up into trailer she is resisting. Yesterday with hubby leading her and me standing right behind her butt we got her loaded. Hooray! Praised and grained in trailer. We will be repeating loading a lot today.
Tips for the last step up? Can't always have 2 people there to load....

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
She needs to know to move away from pressure from all quarters (think of each of her legs as a quarter. ) So using hands, a rope, ect and ask her to move away from the pressure.
Then when she understands moving away from pressure you should be able to walk her to the trailer then lay the rope over her neck, she gets in you stay to side as she gets in. And you are there to put pressure on her hindquarters if need be.
Patience and time! Glad it's going better.