Training cattle to ride

Baby Duck

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have a 4 month old bull calf who I'm in the process of training to be ridden. Just to clarify, I mean be ridden like a horse, not the bull riding sport. I don't have any experience in training anything to ride, and any tips/pointers would be greatly appreciated.
I have had him since he was 2 weeks old, so he is very friendly and tame. He is halter broken, and will walk on a lead. He will also walk forward when I click my tongue. I know that it will be a while before he is big enough to start riding, but I am looking for any advice once it gets to that point, too. Thanks in advance.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Might want to turn him into a steer before that? I know there are quite a few people who train longhorn cattle for riding and they are supposedly MUCH more stable to ride than horses, but I think all those were longhorn steers rather than bulls. I wouldn't want to be out riding my bull and he get a whiff of any cows in the neighborhood that may be in heat....that would be quite a ride!

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
What an impressive young woman Kaleigh Hamel is! Very interesting vid.

It takes lots of ground work and building trust, just like training a horse.

I don't have any experience in training anything to ride, and any tips/pointers would be greatly appreciated.

This is a great time to do a ton of research and brain picking. I would start by watching everything Kaleigh Hamel has out there.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Great video on the steer riding. There have been several people here that have had riding longhorns. All the things that she was saying is very true. I would also chime in and suggest that the bull calf be castrated and made a steer. That is one of the reasons there are pulling oxen not pulling bulls.

WeegMisty

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You can train him to be ridden, I suggest joining Backyard chickens if you aren't a member. There si a very helpful member there who is training her cow to ride that could totally help you out!

Baby Duck

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You can train him to be ridden, I suggest joining Backyard chickens if you aren't a member. There si a very helpful member there who is training her cow to ride that could totally help you out!
I have already joined there, and am part of that discussion.