Training cattle to ride

Baby Duck

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
What an impressive young woman Kaleigh Hamel is! Very interesting vid.

It takes lots of ground work and building trust, just like training a horse.

This is a great time to do a ton of research and brain picking. I would start by watching everything Kaleigh Hamel has out there.
I've already watched all her videos, and they have been very helpful.

Baby Duck

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Great video on the steer riding. There have been several people here that have had riding longhorns. All the things that she was saying is very true. I would also chime in and suggest that the bull calf be castrated and made a steer. That is one of the reasons there are pulling oxen not pulling bulls.
No, he will not be made into a steer. I came here looking for tips on training him, not to be told to castrate him. Thanks anyways.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
No, he will not be made into a steer. I came here looking for tips on training him, not to be told to castrate him. Thanks anyways.
I believe you will find that the best tips on training livestock will fail when brought to a hormonal bull. I’m not saying it can’t work, I’m saying it’s rare. I would suggest considering getting a nose ring on that boy, he may be great with a halter now but, depending on the breed, he is going to get big and not notice you even with all your might. As for any animals consistency, rewards, logical punishment, and strong boundaries. Not to mention patience.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
What breed do you have there? Don't recall reading that.

Yeah, the suggestions for castrating are JUST because of concerns for safety. Ok, it's also what we would do if we had the balls to ride one. 😁 :love:hugs. I've never attempted or thought to ride a bull/steer. But I had horses. Knowing the safety factors for them translates to the feelings you have to carefully train him safely. I have handled many stallions, from birth to old age....none full sized but, minis. However, respect and excellent ground manners were foremost to success, just as it will be for your chosen pairing. So my tip is that this is the time to be extra consistent in those areas. It can make all the difference. When in mixed company, if attention wondered -- a little vicks on their nose got them back on track. ;)

I'd love to see pics and updates on you progress with this endeavor.

Baby Duck

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
What breed do you have there? Don't recall reading that.

Yeah, the suggestions for castrating are JUST because of concerns for safety. Ok, it's also what we would do if we had the balls to ride one. 😁 :love:hugs. I've never attempted or thought to ride a bull/steer. But I had horses. Knowing the safety factors for them translates to the feelings you have to carefully train him safely. I have handled many stallions, from birth to old age....none full sized but, minis. However, respect and excellent ground manners were foremost to success, just as it will be for your chosen pairing. So my tip is that this is the time to be extra consistent in those areas. It can make all the difference. When in mixed company, if attention wondered -- a little vicks on their nose got them back on track. ;)

I'd love to see pics and updates on you progress with this endeavor.
He is a Holstein cross. I wouldn’t have thought about vicks on the nose- thanks for the tip and other advice. And I do have some pictures.
E0D5CAD4-071E-421F-AF4A-966CDCDD5779.jpeg

BAD0FAD2-46E7-41C6-817B-6130FEC933ED.jpeg

wolf

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
He's a pretty baby! I've ridden horses and donks before - but never a cow. For me, I'd have to get used to the different spinal-structure on my butt, cause they're so straight when equines are sort of contoured. I've trained a donk from a baby-foal and started with just throwing a leg over her back as my feet still touched the ground at that young age, and teaching her rein & halter cues from above and behind her head... your boy looks taller, though. Long-lines, and train from behind, maybe. I also educated my service dogs when I got gimpy enough to need one - same training and verbage. I would say just LIVE with them, know them as "persons", and progress from there in a natural path of learning. The gelding is a suggestion to offset the bossy and domineering attitude intact males get when they mature. When they keep their nuts, they tend to THINK with them. I've worked the bossy rams I've had, to discourage them hitting me, by putting them on the ground and holding them there till I feel like releasing them - and I've had a couple get up with me on top, and take off... so I guess I've been sheep-riding, too! I'm a small old lady and we're pretty much the same size! 😂 But a wethered ram never gets that Idea - of trying to play with me like I'm another sheep... testosterone poisoning? 😂😂😂 And I have sheep, cause I KNOW I don't have it in me to put up with huge cows pushing me around. Seems like him putting a boulder-sized head against you and pushing you into the dirt would be uncomfortable... that's why folks said make him a steer.
First thought I had when I saw this topic was "Mongo" in the movie "Blazing Saddles" with his big Brahma mount!

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looking at him I am thinking a holstein jersey cross? Or a holstein angus cross. Just out of curiosity, what is your reasoning for keeping him as a bull? Is he going to be used as a breeding animal for your herd?

Baby Duck

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Looking at him I am thinking a holstein jersey cross? Or a holstein angus cross. Just out of curiosity, what is your reasoning for keeping him as a bull? Is he going to be used as a breeding animal for your herd?
Holstein commercial angus cross. He is being kept a bull to breed.