Training Llamas - conflicting advice!?

2llamasandacow

Just born
Reaction score
Hi all :)

I have been looking for a llama forum for ages now and finally found this forum, looks like it's as populated as it gets, huh? :p Us llama-lovers are rare birds it seems!

So, I have come in desperation. :(
I have spent many many hours (precious time lost - not a commodity us farm-running people can afford to waste!) on this so far and have run out of time with trying to find the "needle in the haystack" persay. I need some advice from you all!

I'm a member of GALA and got some books from their library on training and handling of llamas. I then boldly went out to train my llamas with the techniques recommended in the books and failed miserably (I see this is a common theme!). This is my problem...llamas are prey and I am a predator. Period. Yet the training books are all saying, "get that llama in a closed space and intrude his personal space. Get close to him, now closer, now catch him." My poor llamas went from feeling curious and comfortable around me to distrusting and avoiding me!!! I'm discouraged that the "experts" are wrong. This is common in horse training as well. The Parelli Method or other natural horsemanship methods are (IMO) the "right" way to do it.

So...what is the "natural" way to train llamas? Who bases their training techniques on ACTUAL LLAMA DISPOSITION/NATURE? I am very tuned into my llamas and I know that they do not like being caught, corralled, cornered, or tricked. They are independent and prideful...how do I honor that? How do we work TOGETHER and how do I show them that following my lead is rewarding?

Also, I would like to know how to read llama language and the books I read say, "know llama language" but don't explain it! lol If anyone knows of a good resource for that, please do tell!

Thanks so much in advance and I look forward to helping others once I get this all figured out!!!

2llamasandacow

Just born
Reaction score
I Love You...:hugs

This is what I'm talking about!!! So excited!
:weee

TeriConroy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Good for you asking, fellow GALA member! Marty McGee was at our conference last November. This year I am on the conference committee for LAMAS ON PARADE, the conference that will be held in Latham, NY. I'm guessing you didn't go last year? This year we are having John Mallon (Mallon Method) - his is one of my favorite ways to train. Although, I do use a combination of Mallon Method and Camelydynamics. You will be so happy if you come, we have non-stop workshops - many that are HANDS-ON will address your questions and concerns. There is a yahoo group online that is good and a lot of us are on fb and can probably help you. Feel free to email for links to those things. I've always been a pick and choose person when it comes to training and what works for me, but with 18 llamas and one alpaca, some rescues, I can say that I can catch and handle them all. And yes, a couple-three have sensitivities or attitudes towards a couple of things (just like people), but for the most part my learning over the years has trained ME well enough that I can speak "their langugage". email is maxspot@aol.com. -Teri, Wunsapana Farm, Altamont, NY

2llamasandacow

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks, Teri!

Right, last year the conference happened before I found GALA and became a member. We live in Ithaca, NY so I'm all over this year's conference now that I know it's more local! The only thing is...I can't figure out where to register...as usual GALA severely lacks in electronic access and all I can find is a pdf of the program, but no registration form. Also, no cost info. - only hotel rates. Ugh. Do I have to go find my latest newsletter for this info perhaps?

Thanks so much for being helpful and reaching out! What is the yahoo group and the FB group I should search for?

Thanks again!

TeriConroy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am so sorry that you are having a difficult time with GALA, the website has been a concern and I think it would be nice if we could have a section in our Member Directory with a listing of mentors for people seeking guidance with handling their camelids. I do know a woman out that way and might be able to introduce you, she would be very helpful. Let me email her. The next newsletter is due out in August (I just submitted a lot of newsletter items regarding the conference), and you will receive the registration packet in August as well. That will list the cost- approximately $300ish registration (prices for full or partial attendance will be in the packet) for 3+ days of non-stop workshops on everything health, training, fiber, you-name-it regarding llamas and alpacas. We have camelid specific vets, trainers - like John Mallon, it's huge. I've received the bulk of my llama education from these conferences for the last eight years. It's expensive and priceless at the same time. I struggle to afford it, but really....because I choose to live my life with llamas and one alpaca - I cannot afford NOT to attend.

I apologize on behalf of the GALA committee for your frustration with its website and with accessibility to finding help. I was in your shoes once, and I DO remember and try to help people all the time so that they don't have to go through what I did. I applaud you seeking information! I will email you privately with the groups I mentioned. Feel free to friend me on FB and like my farm page - Wunsapana Farm - Llamas and ask all the questions you want there too :) Will follow up with the woman I mentioned also and supply her email address if she's okay with it (I'm sure she will be - that's how we llama peeps are!) Best, Teri Conroy, www.wunsapanafarm.com

2llamasandacow

Just born
Reaction score
Oksie! Done!
Btw, Mr. Tumnus is such a heartbreaker! OMG...he's just so adorable I can't stands it! lol

We moved here from Albany and go back often to visit so maybe we can stop by when we're in town!
Thanks for helping with the GALA stuff, it is confusing, for sure! I like the mentor idea, but maybe also someone automatically assigned to new members (especially if they are new llama-owners as well!) - unless they have an online forum, that would be best!

TeriConroy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Mr. Tumnus is too cute...and trouble :) Wow, so you know where I am! (20 min from downtown Albany). I was going to suggest that if you can visit, I can show you so much in person. Let me know! (p.s. fb friends now and I emailed you too!)

Latest posts