Training Pet Goats

North Coast Chick

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I would like to get a couple of Nigerian Dwarf wethers as pets, and my hope is that they can join me hiking in the woods. I know to some extent they will "follow the leader" but I would like to train them to come when called. I have used clicker training with a dog before and I read some of the posts here on that so I'm confident that that will help.
Just wondering if anyone has tips for me as far as having goats as hiking companions (leashed or off-leash). BTW I've been a lurker here for a long time but am just now getting more serious about goats.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
First off ya need to check local livestock ordinances and laws on livestock being in public parks.....with them being prey animals and are leary of dogs, it wouldn't be wise to have them off lead....whether you consider them a pet or not, it is the opinion of the law enforcers that will determine which laws apply......also, no matter of the situation....always, always have pellets in your pocket that they like.....it can come in very handy to get close to a spooked goat....:)

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
There are folks who use goats as pack animals while hiking, but not normally Nigies... they are kinda small... I would echo that they should always be on leash and I would also recommend a harness rather than collar for even more control. Good luck!

Latest posts