Transitioning to once a day milking

Wendybear

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I want to transition my ff ND to milking once a day only in the evenings. Is that even possible? If so, how do I begin the process?

She gave birth June 1st. Her kids were bottle fed and are completely weaned. Right now she gives about 2 1/2 cups in the morning and a little over 2 cups at night.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep, most of the time they do fine -- may get a little vocal just before evening milking. You are in first quarter of lactation so she should be putting out well. You may want to take just a little in morning for a couple days, as FEM said.

Most of us don't begin this until further out -- at least I usually don't. Another thing is that you bottle fed. I let mine nurse, then when I wean, the moms are pretty much used to some varied nurse times -- I personally find it easier to adjust with that happening. Mostly, FEM lets hers nurse. I think we both just decide when we want milk and which doe will contribute! :lol: Then, wean, separate, pen, whatever we find works for that doe.

OK -- not quite as haphazard as that may sound but, it has a lot to do with the animals and my own schedule. The doe will slack volume because truly they work a lot on "supply & demand". If you take less, they will make less.....Just know that it will take her a couple days to adjust nicely. A lot less time half way thru the lactation cycle.

Go for it!! Let us know how it works for you. :D

Wendybear

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you both! I have decided to keep pushing through with twice a day for a few more weeks at least. I appreciate that when I do make the transition, its pretty simple and straightforward.

This is my first doe, her first birth and my first time milking. Its been quite the experience. Lol

I wanted to let the babies nurse. But after a fantastic start, she wouldnt let them near her udders about 6 days in. I had let them out of the birthing pen the day before. Maybe that had something to do with it.

I tried penning them in together and even tried to let them nurse while she was on the milking stand. She wasnt having it and Im still so inexperienced. I just gave up and gave them bottles bc I was unsure how much they were getting.

Thanks again!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh geez,I’m trying to dry off Busty, my Kinder goat, who used to make too much milk for her triplets..I’m milking a tiny bit at each session both times a day...it’s been about three weeks? Do you guys, @Mini Horses and @frustratedearthmother think I can just go cold turkey?? I don’t want he4 to get mastitis..vocal I can deal with..I have a few of those🤣❤️🐐. But, I was supposed to be getting a break from milking before the new goat kids got here...and I have to milk for bottle feeding...there goes that!!

Wendybear

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ugh - does like that don't make things easy, but glad you've got it under control. Sounds like you're doing great!

Haha ... skip back to 9 weeks ago, you would have found me sitting behind the barn crying, questioning my existance, and thinking of selling all of them. Lol

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Girl, we have all been there! I've been doing this for decades and I can still go behind the barn and cry, lol. Ups and downs are part of the life. :)

think I can just go cold turkey??

I've never had a doe get mastitis after a normal lactation because I dried her up. Busty has been producing a long time now hasn't she? I think she'll dry off for you.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
We dried off our dairy does after a 10 month lactation since we were on test and showing so they had to remain in milk. After the final milking we did a dry mastitis tube injection to prevent mastitis when freshening. We used for dry does.

To dry up a goat in milk without a long lactation, the easiest way is to reduce production first. Cut all grain since the loss of the protein will reduce her output. After a few days milk only once a day for several weeks. Once you have reduced her output to half or less you can finish drying her off. If she is still producing a large amount of milk, cut her hay or forage allottment in half for another week of once a day milking and she should be down to almost nothing. Do the Tomorrow preventative mastitis treatment and she should be ok. If she is a high production milker, it takes longer. Since she is a FF it should not take as long since her body is not telling her to milk for 10 months as an established older dairy doe would.

With sheep and Boers that you need to dry off in a hurry after weaning, cut their grain or feed to half for 2 weeks before removing the babies. Then after removing the weaned lambs or kids, withhold all feed and water for 24 hours. This is pretty drastic and I don't like doing it when a lactating animal is in full production since it can be way too hard on them. I only used this method on sheep whose natural cycle encourages them to dry off by 4 months.

I don't use it on my current Dorpers since at 3 months I pull their ram lambs for auction sale, leave them with their ewe lambs, and put in a ram. They rebreed at that time and dry up normally. These are sheep that are not bred for year round milking like dairy animals. Since they are rebreeding to lamb every 8 months they are more than willing to dry up.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Girl, we have all been there! I've been doing this for decades and I can still go behind the barn and cry, lol. Ups and downs are part of the life. :)

AMEN to that! :D

I pulled some bucklings a week ago and the does with no doelings to help out, I did pull a little from those full bags for their comport but not daily.....just when I saw the bag tight. When that stops, I pull majority and they won't produce much after.

Yes, pulled grains. But mine weren't getting daily anyway as not on milking lineup and pastures heavy. Every farm has to evaluate their own animals, situations and apply the things that help. It's a juggle.

Latest posts