1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Ear Tags - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Trapping A Racoon

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by GypsyG, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Feb 28, 2019
    GypsyG

GypsyG Loving the herd life

A raccoon killed one on my hens last night and injured another so baddly I had to put her down.

I live in town, so my control methods are limited. I have a livetrap and I saved the remains from the raccoon kill and the innards of the hen I dispatched for bait. Do any of y'all have live trapping experience? Should this work to catch the coon or is he going to try to go straight for the fresh meat again?

I wish I still lived in the country so I could just let my dogs free roam and handle these things.

B&B Happy goats likes this.
  2. Feb 28, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

B&B Happy goats Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Yep, had racoon problems at another house and had to use trap, what worked for me was securely getting the chicken i used tied real tightvwith zip ties, that way they had to go all the way in and it sprung it closed...they are clever little beasts, if you don't get that food secure they will use their hands and get it out. Fair warning, when you get it ...it with fight like crazy to get out to the point it will injure itself, if you are going to rehome it, they normally travel a ten mile radius from one area...so move it more than ten miles away. And if has visited and gotten a kill.....usually there are more....good luck.....cooked chicken is a fantastic bait !!!!

GypsyG likes this.
  3. Feb 28, 2019
    High Desert Cowboy

High Desert Cowboy Loving the herd life

Raccoons are opportunists, and if you secure your chickens for the night it’ll go for the easiest target. Put the bait as much in the back/middle as possible, they’re pretty clever with those hands. Too close to the sides they’ll find a way to get it. We usually use cans of tuna and I’ve found the can outside the trap but the raccoon in the trap.
    After you get to dispose of it, and that’s your choice some cities will send animal control to euthanize the animal or you can do it yourself. If you choose to do it yourself, I doubt neighbors would notice a .22 shot in your backyard. Or you can try to drown it, but if you do so make sure the cage is securely latched. My grandpas neighbors tried to drown one in their garbage can and the cage came open leaving them with a wet angry raccoon to deal with.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  4. Feb 28, 2019
    GypsyG

GypsyG Loving the herd life

Thanks for that advice, but I'd never drown an animal, thats too inhumane.

Raccoon makes a very tasty pulled pork substitute though.

5. Feb 28, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

B&B Happy goats Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Yummy, recycle his arse....

GypsyG likes this.