Trapping A Racoon

GypsyG

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
A raccoon killed one on my hens last night and injured another so baddly I had to put her down.

I live in town, so my control methods are limited. I have a livetrap and I saved the remains from the raccoon kill and the innards of the hen I dispatched for bait. Do any of y'all have live trapping experience? Should this work to catch the coon or is he going to try to go straight for the fresh meat again?

I wish I still lived in the country so I could just let my dogs free roam and handle these things.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
A raccoon killed one on my hens last night and injured another so baddly I had to put her down.

I live in town, so my control methods are limited. I have a livetrap and I saved the remains from the raccoon kill and the innards of the hen I dispatched for bait. Do any of y'all have live trapping experience? Should this work to catch the coon or is he going to try to go straight for the fresh meat again?

I wish I still lived in the country so I could just let my dogs free roam and handle these things.

Yep, had racoon problems at another house and had to use trap, what worked for me was securely getting the chicken i used tied real tightvwith zip ties, that way they had to go all the way in and it sprung it closed...they are clever little beasts, if you don't get that food secure they will use their hands and get it out. Fair warning, when you get it ...it with fight like crazy to get out to the point it will injure itself, if you are going to rehome it, they normally travel a ten mile radius from one area...so move it more than ten miles away. And if has visited and gotten a kill.....usually there are more....good luck.....cooked chicken is a fantastic bait !!!!

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Raccoons are opportunists, and if you secure your chickens for the night it’ll go for the easiest target. Put the bait as much in the back/middle as possible, they’re pretty clever with those hands. Too close to the sides they’ll find a way to get it. We usually use cans of tuna and I’ve found the can outside the trap but the raccoon in the trap.
After you get to dispose of it, and that’s your choice some cities will send animal control to euthanize the animal or you can do it yourself. If you choose to do it yourself, I doubt neighbors would notice a .22 shot in your backyard. Or you can try to drown it, but if you do so make sure the cage is securely latched. My grandpas neighbors tried to drown one in their garbage can and the cage came open leaving them with a wet angry raccoon to deal with.

Last edited:

GypsyG

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Raccoons are opportunists, and if you secure your chickens for the night it’ll go for the easiest target. Put the bait as much in the back/middle as possible, they’re pretty clever with those hands. Too close to the sides they’ll find a way to get it. We usually use cans of tuna and I’ve found the can outside the trap but the raccoon in the trap.
After you get to dispatch it, and that’s your choice some cities will send animal control to euthanize the animal or you can do it yourself. If you choose to do it yourself, I doubt neighbors would notice a .22 shot in your backyard. Or you can try to drown it, but if you do so make sure the cage is securely latched. My grandpas neighbors tried to drown one in their garbage can and the cage came open leaving them with a wet angry raccoon to deal with.
Thanks for that advice, but I'd never drown an animal, thats too inhumane.

Raccoon makes a very tasty pulled pork substitute though.

cluckmecoop7

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
After you get to dispose of it, and that’s your choice some cities will send animal control to euthanize the animal or you can do it yourself. If you choose to do it yourself, I doubt neighbors would notice a .22 shot in your backyard. Or you can try to drown it, but if you do so make sure the cage is securely latched. My grandpas neighbors tried to drown one in their garbage can and the cage came open leaving them with a wet angry raccoon to deal with.

I know this is a old thread bbbuuuuttt - I don't thinks it's good to drown any animal. That's just WAY too inhumane. Please don't do this anyone.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
No to drowning, It's just too painful and unbearable to see. I just can't imagine something too cruel happen to any animal.

cluckmecoop7

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Has someone ever tried to drown YOU? How does it feel?
Besides, wild animals are not used to us at all and that makes it even more terrible for them. NO, drowning.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Has someone ever tried to drown YOU? How does it feel?
Besides, wild animals are not used to us at all and that makes it even more terrible for them. NO, drowning.
I agree.. drowning will be very excruciating for everybody.. that includes you.. so please dont practice drowning wild animals

Goat Shaman

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I know I came to this conversation a little late, but I would agree that drowning is cruel. It's just an awful way to control any animal. There's raccoons on the property I rent on, and I'm actually delighted to see them when I take an occasional night walk.